What topics are discussed in your regularly-held QA team meetings?

I kinda had to let some stuff sit for a minute.

Full disclosure: My 40th birthday is long behind me. I have in the past worked longer hours out of some sense of duty, to the same result noted here in this thread.

There is a body of research out there that shows that there is a high degree of attention attenuation in most people after an hour. I dont recall neurodiversity being a studied factor. IMO I think it is common across most neurotypes. Peoples thoughts drift. They get email. Lunch is near. things happen.

This is why I keep things like QA team meetings, retrospectives, etc to a pretty tight time box and agenda. Use the time. Use it well. Be done with it. If there are more topics of interest or more discussions desired, we can do more. Or have more informal collaborative gatherings. Or people can volunteer to present stuff they are enthused about. In my last gig we tried creating a “testing university” meeting series - attendance optional - where new tactics and such could be presented. In one of these gatherings, a very junior QA engineer (whom I interviewed and hired - point of pride) presented Cypress in a 45 minute overview. Me, the old dog, had never seen it before. I ended up spending personal and slack time standing it up and evaluating it for the product I was working on. But what was more successful was when we started doing video presentations of less critical but informative knowledge sharing. Then people could consume the information when and where they wanted to. I loved it as I tend to be fidgety and need to do things with my hands when Im consuming such information. Yes there were evenings when I was spending precious personal time watching or reading some of these things. But it was ok because it wasnt an obligation. I was satisfying a curiosity!

My point is that I maintain there is a diminishing return to longer or more crowded meetings (Crowded agenda, as well as population) There is also the issue of too many meetings. And so everyone must be sensitive to those facts and seek ways to work around and with them.

6 Likes