What's the best testing advice you've ever heard?

There’s a thread on bad testing advice, let us fill up the goodness of the web with great testing advice.

What’s the best testing advice you’ve ever heard?

Twitter and LinkedIn versions available too :slight_smile:

“Assume us devs have got it wrong and if you can’t find a bug you’re not looking hard enough!” along with “testers are devs’ guardian angels - you stop our evil escaping into the world!”

5 Likes

There is no such thing as 100% automation coverage.

3 Likes

automation is not all about coding, it’s more important to design it better. - #LegoAutomation talk from Richard Bradshaw (my memory is a bit Rusty but that’s how I remembered in one meetup back a few years)

No. of Pass/Fail test cases give no insight of the quality of the product - Michael Bolton (another rusted memory from a past meetup)

1 Like

Testing is not about set of templates and rules, it is a mindset and skillset - #RST #ContextDrivenTesting - James Bach and Michael Bolton

Building quality together - Lisa Crispin

We only do the things if it adds value (lean approach) - learned from a great friend and colleague

T-shaped, lazy E, broken comb testers

From my first test manager (who had combined hardware and software testing in her career, which included the test and commissioning phases of a major power station facility):

A tester should always be open-minded enough to add tests to their test plan. But they should never be so open-minded that they remove tests from their test plan.

It is what it is - a reminder that no matter what I think about a situation, I can’t change the past. What I can do is advocate for changes so that whatever the current mess is, a repeat performance can be avoided.

3 Likes

“…whatever the current mess is, a repeat performance can be avoided.”

Which makes me think of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore:

“Sir Arthur, have you learnt from your mistakes?”
“Yes I have, and I’m confident that if asked, I could repeat them all perfectly.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes