Which type of tests should you add to the test management tool?

Hi all, We use Jira for project development and Octane for Test Management.

Can I get your thoughts on if its worth adding all the test cases for every Jira story onto the test Management tool or would you add only regression tests?

Thanks
Sandy

Hi @sandy welcome to the Club,

If the Jira story describes some fixed business functionality, all the testing activities relevant to that business functionality could be relevant to add. I would consider: if I as a product owner, or similar, look at the story what material can I see that confirms this being ready to ship?

There are many ways to go about this. How is the relationship between test cases and requirements/user stories handled? Ie are the linked, or are they more separately maintained.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: /Jesper

Thanks Jesper.
The relationship between requirement and test cases are maintained separately. Test cases are added to a feature folder on the test tool.

How about adding more relevant test cases to the Jira story itself, giving the PO a complete picture of how the story is tested? Also, add more extensive tests/regression tests to the Test tool. I’m not sure if this is the best strategy though.

1 Like

Why would you not start a conversation with the developers and PO on what information and in what format would be more useful in your interaction with them as a tester?

Testing is a search for information, a learning process, many of which are not explicit anyway. When you write things down it might seem like a software system particularly encoding log entries to many others.

Have a general strategy or approach before you start each testing mission(per story, feature, sprint, or whatever your organization is), which ideally you go through with them at the start of testing. When testing, take notes (how did you test, what did you find, what you didn’t or couldn’t test, what slowed or blocked testing).

Many of the people you need to provide information to have a short attention span for testing stuff so they want a quick update face to face or when doing a drive-through my desk. So I have to be ready with succinct info or make it up as they interrupt me.

When you figure out a common collaboration, process and what’s optimal for you as a tester in terms of storage organization and reporting, then you can see easier out how tooling can support it.

3 Likes

I am about to start adding our testing into a Jira TCMS tool myself. My plan is to add only the new features, to then iterate over them again, to learn lessons while the suite is small and easy to re-arrange still, and only then to start adding regression test cases.

2 Likes

Disclosure - I work @testuff.
With Testuff test management you can see your tests, created in the test management tool, in your Jira issue (for example a Story, if that is used for requirements). Using both our two-way integration with Jira and our Jira app (as can be found on their marketplace) you can get the most of both worlds - a test management tool to manage your tests, assign them to requirements (which were imported directly from your Jira epics, stories or other relevant issue types) and at the same time a synchronized Jira with the relevant data from Testuff presented in it.
You can read more how it works on our website and of course discuss the best practices with our support.
Good luck with any decision you make on how to manage your workflow.

1 Like