YouTube Short: Raising bugs is like washing dishes

Ahoy MoT Club,

My latest YouTube Short is out, where I compare raising bugs with washing dishes - Do you wash as you cook, or do it all at the end?

2 Likes

It depends.

When the dishwasher has been emptied before then I can fill it with dishes that fit in and I don’t need for the cooking at the moment. When it is still running or not emptied yet, then I put the dishes on a backlog above the dishwasher, ready for put in right when I have time to empty the dishwasher. :wink:

3 Likes

I usually do the dishes before I cook, so does that mean I’m shifting left, the equivalent of trying to find the bugs before code is written?

1 Like

Interesting take - Is using a dishwasher the equivalent to using some sort of automation?

Your dishes are cleaned, but you still need a human to load and unload.

Bugs, like dishes, are a never ending chore. In my house as soon as I have emptied the dishwasher, there seems to be a pile of dishes to be loaded. Much like testing, as soon as bugs are fixed and deployed, then a new lot are waiting to be found. And much like dishes, you wash the same ones over and over, the same bugs can be fixed and broken from deployment to deployment. Its a never ending cycle!
What a great analogy!

You may also need to manually set up soaks. The dishwasher run completing without the machine reporting errors does not mean that you can be confident that there is no dirt on your products. If you just assume everything is 100% clean and good to go, your users may encounter a tummy bug.