30 Days of API Testing Day 13: API Automation Tools

30 Days of API Testing Day 13 Challenge is:

Contribute to the list of API automation tools over on The Club and share your experiences with using them

What API automation tools do you use?

1 Like

The most simple, efficient and least amount of code needed to automate API testing https://github.com/svanoort/pyresttest
If you need more controlled API testing there is always python requests library.

2 Likes

I am using Katalon Studio. This is a free test automation tool support for Web,Mobile and API testing . It is a great tool for the testers who have less coding knowledge with a friendly UI as well as a powerful tool for the experience testers with custom keyword feature.

Some other features of Katalon:

• Katalon Analytics (Advanced Reports)
  • Integration
    • CI
    • Git
    • Gitlab
    • Jira
    • qTest
    • TestRail
    • …

I completed exercise 1 using Katalon and will use it to practice the next exercises :blush:

7 Likes

I use many API testing tools. I think my favorite 2 are Postman and Python.

Postman is great for quickly getting started and python is great for diving deep and combining API testing data manipulation of various sorts.

3 Likes

As I am new to testing (student) and also API I have recently begun to explore different API testing tools. At the moment I am making myself familiar with Postman and also beginning to write automated tests in JavaScript. I use the blog http://blog.getpostman.com/ to practice and get tips! Great blog posts and also easy to follow as a beginner. Looking forward to read everyone elses testing tools and explore some more!

2 Likes

For my .NET projects I use NUnit and RestSharp.
I’ve just started automated API tests for a Javascript project, and using Mocha and supertest for that

3 Likes
  • Python Request is a great API automation library.
    “Requests is an elegant and simple HTTP library for Python, built for human beings.”
    http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/

• Postman is a firm favourite with the community, as its easy to use and has a wide range of functionality.

• SOAP UI and API fortress both seem to be useful API Automation tools.

Some notes I made on Postman and SOAP UI tools some time ago when I was comparing tools.

SOAP UI

• API functional testing
  • Covers SOAP and REST(allows generation from the WSDL file)
  • Covers load and security(pro version)
  • The assertion feature includes category of assertions etc
  • Cookies(As the packaged app runs in a sandbox separately from the browser, it can not access cookies set inside the browser. This restriction can also be overcome using the Interceptor extension)
  • Allows alerting/monitoring
  • Can allow service mock ups
  • Allows for test automation

Postman

• Helps code generation including python request etc.
  • Verification can be done though the test tab, with the very useful snippets suggestion(i.e. automatically creates assertions)
  • Allows basic performance test e.g. returns in less than 500ms
  • Allows alerting/monitoring
  • Can allow service mock ups
  • Allows for test automation
4 Likes

@conorfi: Good info. I will explore more about “Interceptor extension”.

Adding some more notes for postman:

• Can export tests and environment/global variables as json files
  • Assertions in Tests Tab using javascript and templates
  • Have support of command line tool called NewMan which is based on node.js
  • Supports e2e using Jenkins and other tools.
3 Likes

I’ve just started to automate api tests. My first tool is Postman. I use their features such as global variables, environments, pre-scripts and collections.
Thanks to all above who contributed info about other tools: SOAP UI, API Fortress, RestSharp, NUnit, Katalon Analytics, Python. I’m going to try all of them.

3 Likes

Some people have tweeted about this too

1 Like

Day 13: Contribute to the list of API automation tools over on The Club and share your experiences with using them.

3 Likes

Through learning and searching about API testing in 30 Days of API testing, I have interacted with more tools than before and had some experiences of my own.
I use Postman at first next is Katalon to check APIs, recently I have tried SoapUI. Each tool has its own strengths. I will explore them more.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I am exploring on Postman, it is easy to understand and use. But I saw @oceannguyen was suggested the new tool - Katalon: a free test automation tool support for Web,Mobile and API testing, I think it is interesting. I will go to try it.

6 Likes

I started the web project last year and the first tool I have been using for manual API testing is Postman.

Recently I try working with Katalon to explore its functionality. Honestly I have not tried the automation feature of both Postman and Katalon, I just use them to check the API services before scripting them.

In terms of developing API automation, I prefer our framework to tools, the framework is flexible and manageable.

3 Likes

I’d like to share 02 API Automation tools below:

• Postman:
    – Script language: Javascript
    – Manage test script by test collection.
    – Able to run CLI/CI by using Newman

• Katalon:
    – Script language: Groovy, Java
    – Able to run by CLI/CI.
    – Manage test script by the test case, test suite.

5 Likes

There are 2 API Automation tools I have learning and working below:

• Katalon :
    – Free
    – Script language: Groovy, Java.
    – Able to run by CLI/CI.
    – Manage test script by the test case, test suite.
    – API Automation support.
  • Postman :
    – Free
    – Script language: Javascript.
    – Manage test script by test collection.
    – Able to run CLI/CI by using Newman
    – API Automation support.
4 Likes

I’ve been using Postman for most of my API testing needs and although I believe it falls short from ideal in terms of flexibility, it’s been really easy to use it so far.

I recently tried out Paw, an HTTP client for mac that besides having a great UI and performance, has features similar to Postman such as defining environments and dynamic variables for requests. It’s paid though and I still need to try making a complete automated test suite with it.

1 Like

Don’t have much exposure to API testing. Have used Postman, SOAPUI , Robot framework in the past . But I guess I like the tool I use these days, The tool is called WCF Fiddle. It has been written by our developers based on our app’s needs and the way it works, I like it.

So this is how it works: “The instructions are: drag and drop any .net exe onto wcfFiddle, a web page comes up showing all the WCF interfaces found in the assemblies associated with that exe. If the .net app is already running, wcf fiddle will give a short-list of wcf service end points it found. Either click on one of the found endpoints, or manually configure the endpoint to connect to by choosing an interface+address from the drop down options below. You will then get a new tab that allows you to arbitrarily invoke methods on the wcf service you connected to.

Note : you can drag/drop the result of one method invocation to the input arguments of another with your mouse for convenience.”

1 Like

I usually use Postman and Rest Assured to test API, however I am curios to try https://testproject.io/ it is supposed to be really good for Web, Mobile, Desktop and API

3 Likes