30 Days of Automation in Testing Day 13: Share your Favourite Automation Tool and Why

I currently use Katalon for my projects, it’s good and becoming more powerful through updated versions.Katalon Studio is a free test automation tool for automating websites, mobile applications and web services. Katalon is an ideal solution for testers with less automation skills and experiences.

1 Like

For web/mobile testing, Katalon brings me the best feeling although I have the shortest time working on it. It’s free and give us 2 parallel options to develop a test case: GUI/Scripting. It’s developed based on Selenium and Appium so inherits existing bounteous libraries. It’s easy for the guys don’t know programming to use but it also doesn’t make others boring with scripting mode.

My favorite tool is Sahi (https://sahipro.com).I like using Sahi as it doesn’t require all the webdriver fuctions calls. It uses in-built API calls so in minutes your first UI tests are up and running.
Also, its more stable and hardly fails for element not found and requires no additional wait statements. It has got record-play to quickly write the tests and also provides API calls for scripting making it interesting for programmers as well.

While most testers apparently tests web, there’s more to testing and automation tools than web and API tools (30 Days of Automation Testing Day 9 - Find, use and share your thoughts on an API testing tool).

For desktop and commercials off-the-shelf products like SAP, SalesForce, Dynamics hooking into the application code is not feasible, so these testing contexts often require different tools than web only projects. For this Robot Process Automation tools (https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/dojo/lessons/rpa-as-a-power-tool-for-testing) might be more handy along with more enterprise oriented tools like Tosca, Panaya Autonomous Testing for SAP etc. These tools perhaps mostly for on the testing (done by the business, not the testers) - YMMV.

Does Python count?

I got started in Python by learning from Al Sweigart’s book Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, and I still refer back to it frequently.

I do a lot of manual testing, but some of the between-testing stuff, administration, configuration, setup, etc. involves repetitive tasks that drive me insane. For example I had to do the following once:

Run a test transaction through a web interface
find the logs on a server (one of two servers due to load balancing
copy the logs into a text file
save the text file into it’s own subdirectory
put a link to the text file in an excel sheet where my tests were kept

There’s all kinds of history behind why we “have to” do it this way here, and I could complain (and probably did) about it. But I also was able to automate the last four steps using little python scripts (and a few shell scripts), and save a lot of time.

Wait - only the last four?

Yes, that was before I learned Selenium.

:smiley:

-Dave K

So far, I have used quite a few automation tools like QTP, Selenium IDE, RC and WebDriver with Java, C# and Python. I’ve found Selenium WebDriver with Python to be more reliable and powerful.

However, I recently stumbled open this tool – Testim.io (https://www.testim.io/) which basically heals the automation scripts depending on the changes that the applications go through. This effectively removes the flakiness of the automation suites.

Please read my observations about this tool in detail here: https://qakumar.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/ai-in-automation-testing-self-healing-automation-scripts/

1 Like

Some Tweets from Day 13:

A thread

+1 for Katalon – I’ve used this on a couple of different projects with great success.

My favourite tool, wow that’s a tough one.

I’m going to have to go with Charles Proxy. It’s probably the tool that’s provided me with the most value over my career. With so many applications being Web-based these days, it’s really important to know what your apps are up to. What calls are they making, getting, what data are they sending, receiving? A proxy like Charles can show you all that for Desktop Apps, Browser Apps, Mobile Apps, IoT devices, anything that makes HTTP calls. It then has so many features that I can utilise to really push applications.

Throttling, so I can see how my apps behave on slow/flaky connections. Breakpoints, so I can manipulate the data being sent to the app. Rewrite, so I can have rules in place to mimic regular testing scenarios. Redirect, so I can point apps and devices to a stub running on my local machine.

Proxies are so powerful, and I just happen to prefer Charles. Fiddler, BurpSuite are also great options. MITM if looking for something from the command line.

Others that came close, DevTools (Chrome/FF), WebDriver, straight up Bash.

My favourite tools are KATALON and SELENIUM WEBDRIVER

1. KATALON: the KATALON provides me all power to work with UI, API, Database… It is optimized to be easier for the user. And the groovy a scripting language which supported by KATALON is quick.

2. SELENIUM WEBDRIVER: I have worked on many selenium project to build test automation framework, so it’s close to me.