Katalon Studio: What is Your Experience with This Tool?

I read a blog post this weekend titled “Tool review: Katalon Studio”
https://www.thedefianttester.be/test-tools/tool-review-katalon-studio/

Given our recent 30 Days of API Testing challenge, I was wondering if anyone had a review of your own experience with this testing tool?

Are there any things you would warn other software testers or QA folk about it? Do you have advice on the best situation to use Katalon in? Situations you would advise it not be used in? Anything that might help people in their evaluation of whether or not to use this tool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Katalon has been developed by KMS Technology, for automate both UI and API. Anyone can use Katalon easily without scripting skills. However, if you want to be advanced, you should add more code as possible. In particularly, Katalon has been integrated with Jira and qTest. And they also have a community for share the way and troubleshoot with Katalon also.

Katalon struggles the most with drop downs

We’ve been using this tool for a few months now to assess it’s functionality and determine if it will work for our needs. So far, we’ve been quite impressed that it’s free - the functionality rivals what I’ve used previously in paid tools, it’s easy for someone with limited scripting knowledge to learn and has the flexibility to be more complex, should you wish to. The community (forum) is very active and they update it frequently with bug fixes and enhancements. I agree with the author of the article you shared that the report output isn’t the best - my guess is this is an item they’ll enhance in the future. Also the UI (dropdowns) can be a little clunky to use. I love that it can both API testing and UI integration which fills a need for us.

So far, I’ve been impressed with it’s capabilities and potential but will update if anything else comes to mind!

2 Likes

I have very good experience with Katalon tool, it help create test cases with just record and playback. Also, its easy to write our own test scripts using Java/Groovy language.

Nowadays, this tool is very popular in software testing services provider, as it record & playback that help non-programmers to effectively create automation test cases.

Below are the key features of this tool:

1. Katalon Studio is a free and robust automation solution for Web, API and Mobile testing.
  2. It has powerful built-in features like ‘Object Spy’ and ‘Record & Playback’ using which, even non-programmers can easily create automation scripts, without needing in-depth programming knowledge.
  3. It supports all built-in libraries of Appium and Selenium.
  4. It has built-in support for integration with tools like Jenkins, Git and Jira.
  5. It offers built-in templates for organizing test cases, object repository and keywords.
  6. It execute multiple test suites at once with test suite collection.
  7. It automatically updates all associated test cases and suites when objects are changed.
  8. While Selenium/Appium requires users to build common and reusable actions on their own, katalon Studio contains pre-defined sets of commonly used keywords or actions.
  9. Katalon Studio hides all technical complexities behind the scene and provides friendly UI with the manual mode (user can drag-drop, select keywords and test objects to form test steps).
  10. This tool itself provide supports and handle Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc browsers and no browser driver is required as compare to Selenium.

Conclusion:
Katalon Studio is a free test automation tool for automating websites, mobile applications and web services. It has record & playback and manual mode that help non-programmers to effectively create automation test cases. For users with programming expertise, it has script mode as well using which users can write test scripts in Groovy/Java.

Hope this information is helpful for you.