30 Days of Automation in Testing Day 23: Find, use and share your thoughts on a visual testing tool

I was using many visual testing tools. But I will talk about a few tools only.

1. KATALON: the KATALON framework does not support much about visual testing. It only supported some methods like VerifyImagePresent method. But the way that KATALON supported us to import the 3rd party libraries or tools (Applitools, SikuliX…) is so cool. So KATALON is still my favorite visual testing tool.
    Useful link:
  1. SikuliX library: the visual library that I used in the previous project. The comparison images are exact, CANVAS or hard images cannot give SikuliX a hard time.

2. Applitools: the same with SikuliX, but it’s a tool, so it can be integrated with CICD Tools, Test Management…

3 Likes

I’ve tried Applitools Eyes for visual testing. It’s support to add visual assertions to your existing tests in any automation framework and programming language so you don’t need to create new tests or learn a new test automation language.

Example: The Applitools Eyes Selenium Java SDK allows you to easily add visual checkpoints to your Java Selenium tests. It takes care of getting screenshots of your application from the underlying WebDriver, sending them to the Eyes server for validation and failing the test in case differences are found

However this is an commercial tool so you can use the trial version as the first try.

1 Like

Wrt. Testing desktop and standard applications on Citrix and Remote Desktop - one way to add visual automation could be by using Robot Process Automation (rpa) tools. …

1 Like

In my experience, I’ve never found a reliable way to automate UI / Visual Design. Our design team is tasked with setting up the comps, but often never update them, rendering any source-of-truth impossible to use.

I was introduced to Galen as a means of verifying UI, but as stated. Designs go through so many iterative changes that it would be a full-time job just to keep up with test maintenance.

This is one of those cases where good ol’ manual testing is best.

1 Like

Some tweets about day 23 challenge:

Despite the number of times I’ve mentioned it, it’s been awhile since I’ve done anything in Python. I miss you Python!

So I searched around and found an article: Automating Visual Regression Tests with Python and Selenium.

This article is from 2016, so I’ve had to tinker with it:

1. It was written in an earlier python. So I’ve had to change some print statements. No big deal.
  2. Phantom JS is no longer supported, so I’m having to use chromedriver, which I don’t know how to do headless just yet.

So this will give me something to play with this afternoon. :slight_smile:
-Dave K

1 Like

I have used Sikuli in the past and seems to have done the job for me as long as it is not a huge validation.

Sikuli automates anything you see on the screen. It uses image recognition to identify and control GUI components. It is useful when there is no easy access to a GUI’s internal or source code.

Read more here: https://qakumar.wordpress.com/2018/07/27/day-23-find-use-and-share-your-thoughts-on-a-visual-testing-tool/

1 Like

I have used Sahi Pro tool to do Visual UI testing. It requires just 2 API calls
takeScreenShot
compareImages
WE have around 80+ critical pages/urls to test which I have automated. Every time new release is made comparison happens with the previous release(Baseline) and reports any discrepancies.

I you are looking for some simpler tools that do not require coding you could look at BackstopJS or Wraith. Also as paid alternative you could check our tool Diffy.

one open-source tool which is maturing is https://github.com/Visual-Regression-Tracker