30 Days of DevOps Day 1: Definitions

The first challenge in our 30 Days of DevOps challenge is:

Look up definitions on what ā€˜DevOpsā€™ is and share your own definitions on The Club.

What definitions did you find to share?

DevOps is a set of practices that combines software development and information-technology operations which aims to shorten the systems development life cycle and provide continuous delivery with high software quality. Wikipedia

I actually donā€™t hate this definition as it focuses on practices and not tools. DevOps is a cultural change around practices. Well done Wikipedia.

1 Like

So my head definition has always been ā€œKubernetes something??ā€ and ā€œops is operations, I guess??ā€

Which is weird because I love finding out about other peoplesā€™ roles and jumping in and chatting and loving learning about all sorts of tech topics. Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ve gone so long without actually looking up the real definition for DevOps.

It seems like itā€™s all about supporting agile practices and making them scale up better, taking away blockers and being the humans who are aware of everyoneā€™s roles, and how and where improvements can be made in the development and deployment pipelines. omg the more I read, the more interesting it is!!

There is a human side, which is about company culture/ethos, ways of working etc - which is a topic Iā€™ve accidentally worked in a lot haha! I think testers have a lot of insight to add here, around quality culture and blame culture, definition of done and the definition of quality as well. And then the better known side is more technical, in terms of specific tools and technologies, platforms etc (eg kubernetes I was right nya nya nya nya) that can support the cultural changes and practices for awesome agile development.

I have no idea if that sentence makes sense I am now on hour 32 without sleep how am I alive.

I found the following definitions (from Quora) to be useful, simple and to the point:

What Devops is:

• A combination of organizational culture, process and tools that enable us to deliver the application continuously and smoothly at a faster pace.
  • It not a goal but a continual process.

What Devops is not:

• DevOps is not simply combining Development & Operations teams
  • DevOps is not a product or a tool
3 Likes

I came to post pretty much exactly this. I like to think of it as focused on the people in the process and also on the process.

1 Like

That all makes sense to me and I share those views! I think DevOps arose from operations folk feeling that delivery teams were throwing release candidates over the wall to them and expecting them to deal with all the middle-of-the-night pages. The DevOps-related conferences Iā€™ve been to really focus on the human side of things. If we have an outage - it canā€™t be human error, we should be designing our systems to help humans avoid any mistakes.

I like how Katrina Clokie focuses on building relationships inside and across teams in her Practical Guide to Testing in DevOps

DevOps is the combination of cultural philosophies, practices, and tools that increases an organizationā€™s ability to deliver applications and services at high velocity: evolving and improving products at a faster pace than organizations using traditional software development and infrastructure management processes. This speed enables organizations to better serve their customers and compete more effectively in the market.
I like this definition which coverā€™s tools and cultural apsect. I dont really remember where exactly i found it from or from whom :frowning:

1 Like

Devops is a culture and way of working that emphasises collaboration between Business, Developers and Operations.

4 Likes

I often call DevOps - The stuff we used to call infrastructure - but the other answers here are all better.

I want to emphasize the value of Katrina Clokieā€™s A Practical Guide to Testing in Devops, and underscore that the DevOps culture requires empathy (weā€™re all in it together) and human interaction (no chucking stuff over virtual walls - or playing ping pong).

The Phoenix Project (and the DevOps handbook) talk about the Three Ways of DevOps - which are all about quality (IMO).

1, Systems Thinking (optimize the delivery system)
2. Feedback Loops (team ownership and sharing)
3. Continuous Learning (retrospectives, more sharing, celebrating improvements, etc.)

4 Likes

All of these definitions above are better than the majority of definitions Iā€™ve heard from people in interviews in the past. Iā€™ve seen a huge problem where people focus on the technology, tools and automation aspects of DevOps whilst completely ignoring the cultural aspect.

Iā€™d also add, the Continuous Delivery principles on continuousdelivery.com and in Jez Humble and David Farleyā€™s book also capture DevOps principles. They wrote their book right before Patrick DeBois coined the term ā€œDevOpsā€ in Ghent in 2010. Itā€™s all the same goal - and it includes lots and lots of testing, and continual collaboration.

DevOps is set of practices intended to reduce the time between committing a change to a system and the changes are live in production. Its an always ongoing activity,meaning there is always scope for improvement. I believe this is introduced so that the development and operations teams comes together to complete software development, before this there was huge gap between Dev team and ops team(practically they were operating as if two separate teams), it is gaining lot of steam as it create and improve products at a faster pace than they can with traditional software development approaches

From Twitter I found

And from LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/bug-catcher_30daysoftesting-devops-activity-6662183943447687168-jB1M

To my understanding DevOps is the practice of streamlining and automating deployments for software. Itā€™s a ongoing effort and requires the input from the team in general.