30 Days of DevOps Day 24: Infrastructure as Code Definitions

A nice activity to ease us into the final stretch of 30 Days of DevOps

Explore and share definitions on Infrastructure as code.

What definitions did you find? In your experience do you agree or disagree with them?

Infrastructure as code ( IaC ) is the process of managing and provisioning computer data centers through machine-readable definition files, rather than physical hardware configuration or interactive configuration tools.[1] The IT infrastructure managed by this comprises both physical equipment such as bare-metal servers as well as virtual machines and associated configuration resources. The definitions may be in a version control system. It can use either scripts or declarative definitions, rather than manual processes, but the term is more often used to promote declarative approaches.[from Infrastructure as code - Wikipedia]

IaaC to me is anything running on AWS, MS Azure and other full automated data centers, where infrastructure and network is based on config files etc. To me IaaC is higher order/level than kubernettes and VM’s. That depends on your level of granularity of the term “infrastructure” :slight_smile:

The main point is really that IaaC allows us to do coding practices with infrastructure. Ie. unit tests, integration tests, CI/CD etc. Recently we introduced “code review” in an infrastructure project :wink:

Reminded me of this article, where IaaC is mostly in the PaaS area…

1 Like

A thread on Twitter has