30 Days of Ecommerce Testing Day 5: Classifications

I found a few axes along which ecommerce solutions can be categorized.

Parties involved (Types of e-commerce | Bloomidea)

• Business-to-Business (B2B), e.g. wholesale between companies
  • Business-to-Consumer (B2C), or retail
  • Consumer-to-Consumer (C2C), usually involving a third-party platform which enables consumers to trade directly
  • Consumer-to-Business (C2B), e.g. crowdsourcing or media sales platforms
  • Business-to-Administration (B2A), e.g. social security transactions, registers and other e-government services
  • Consumer-to-Administration (C2A), e.g. filing taxes and other e-government services

Seamlessness (Multi-Channel vs Omni-Channel Ecommerce | Clue Blog)
Multichannel (various commercial channels: website, in-store, social media handled separately)
Omnichannel (seamless flow between different channels)

Physical component (E-commerce - Wikipedia)
Pure-click (online only)
Brick-to-click (online channel added to an existing physical flow)
Click-to-brick (physical locations added to an online channel, including pop-up stores and showrooms)

3 Likes

My findings below –

Business Classification (quite similar to @maos) :

• Business-to-Business (B2B)
  • Business-to-Customer (B2C), e.g. Walmart, Target
  • Customer-to-Business (C2B), e.g. Website for freelancer to join business projects
  • Customer-to-Customer (C2C), e.g. Online Auctions such as eBay, TradeMe in New Zealand
    Others include B2G, G2B, where G is for government services

Business Models

• Drop shipping – Only operate storefront. It is up to suppliers to handle shipping and inventory
  • Wholesaling and warehousing – Need to handle storefront, inventory, shipping and tracking
  • Private label and manufacturing – Selling by sending prototype and plans to customer, and then gather capital for production. Kickstart.com is an example
  • White label-- Similar to private label but selling products that are already sold successfully by another company
  • Subscription Ecommerce – products are delivered to customer in a regular, scheduled interval

Source: https://selfstartr.com/types-of-ecommerce-business-models/

1 Like

Hey, like what you wrote so I hope you don’t mind I’ll expand on it:

types of products sold ( https://www.thebalancesmb.com/ecommerce-businesses-understanding-types-1141595 + wikipedia/ecommerce in brackets)

• Physical goods like books, gadgets, furniture, and appliances (conventional goods)
  • Digital goods such as software, e-books, music, text, images, and video (content for immediate online consumption)
  • Services such as tickets and insurance (conventional services)
  • Wiki also mentions β€˜β€œmeta” services to facilitate other types of electronic commerce’, but there’s no mention at the source site, unless they mean tickets/vouchers, which seem to fall nicely into first two categories - but i’m noting it just in case.

other take on products/activity sold (https://www.mindmeister.com/307073568/classification-of-e-commerce)

• search engine
  • shopping
  • adult content
  • education

sources of revenues (https://www.mindmeister.com/307073568/classification-of-e-commerce)

• traditional sale
  • commissions
  • per transaction fees
2 Likes

These were the ones which i could google and collate :slight_smile:

Ecommerce Business Classifications

B2B – Business to Business
B2C – Business to Consumer
C2C – Consumer to Consumer
C2B – Consumer to Business

Apart from the above,
Business - to - Government (B2G)
Government - to - Business (G2B)
Government - to - Citizen (G2C)

Types of Ecommerce Business Models

Dropshipping
Wholesaling and Warehousing
White-labeling
Manufacturing
Subscription-based

Product Models for Ecommerce

Single Product
Single Category
Multiple Category
Affiliate
Hybrid

2 Likes

Hi @heather_reid,

I received a notification that my message for Day 5 was considered to be spam and will need you/ staff members to check. The message is definitely not spam.

Can you please help to check? I found no way to send you a private message such that I drop a note here.

Thanks,
Anthony

Again since everyone already contributed, I just put a twist on it by trying to visualize it and add more examples.

This is terribly drawn, mostly illegible, and mostly U.S. centric in it’s examples. But I learned something!

1 Like

People new to the Club have a limit of links they can share (due to previous spammers). I get notified of all messages flagged as spam by the Club for manual review :slight_smile: Yours was released as soon as I could get to a computer.

To send a PM to someone: click your user profile picture on the top right and click the message box (to the left of the settings cog)

You should be okay now and not flagged as spam though :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks like a good one :grinning:

Catching up on the hashtag for this on Twitter:

@conorfi

Trading via eCommerce can include all of the following relations:

C2C, such as eBay, where consumers trade goods directly to other consumers
B2C, such as most platforms for consumer goods, e.g. Amazon
B2B, e.g. IT systems vendors which equip other companies
C2B, where consumers can sell goods to a company, e.g. rebuy.de or booklooker.de

1 Like

The most usual are the ones mentioned by @maos so a :+1: from me.

Now, I hear a lot about omnichannel as a tendency in business and is easy to understand why. But this comes with great challenges for the companies.

#30DaysofTesting Day 5

2 Likes

A recent blog post from @yogitakl who is taking this challenge now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Heather for sharing.

You’re welcome, feel free to share your blogs on the other daily posts as you get to those challenges too :slight_smile:

Sure Heather :blush:

1 Like