Advanced Testing with Xray - How to combine tools and humans? Questions

We had a great live webinar with Sergio from Xray, you can currently watch the replay here. We didn’t get through all of the questions during the webinar, so I’m popping them here for Sergio to answer, feel free to add your questions if you get a chance to watch the webinar recording!

Can we configure it to perform some backend testing like for testing of Microservices? - Sai Praneeth

Does the app also describe the test steps in Jira, what you have done? - Silvia Silvia

3 Likes

I think we had a great time, a lot of different topics. Hope it was useful and fun to all of you, but please let me know. All feedback is welcome, so I can improve in the future :slight_smile:

Can we configure it to perform some backend testing like for testing of Microservices? - Sai Praneeth

I think question came during the presentation of Xray Exploratory App. This is app is just a companion, like an assistant that helps you taking notes, screenshots, videos, and then it allows you to either push them to Jira or Xray Test Management… or even to just a PDF file in case you don’t have any of those (or if you just prefer to).
Therefore, you can use it to support you while you test web, desktop, microservices, mobile. The app itself doesn’t test; you are the one testing and that’s why you are valuable and will always be. The tool just helps you stay focused and assist you bureaucratic/repetitive tasks.

Note that this is a desktop app and is free. You can download the current version from here.
We’re working on the next version, so if you’re a tester an wish to help shape it, and also get some $€ for your time&expertise, feel free to signup for the beta to get an early access to the next version.

Does the app also describe the test steps in Jira, what you have done? - Silvia Silvia

The app registers what you explicitly decide to, in a timeline. So, if you took several screenshots for example, or text notes, it will register those in a timeline with timestamps. You can also record a video for example to have everything there. It won’t create “test cases” with steps… that is a decision for you make later on, based on your exploration. Most times you don’t want to create a test case that replicates everything that you did because it will lead to a ton of “garbage” and lead to a maintenance hell.

1 Like