Advice for people new to testing

Thanks for pointing out LinkedIn as an option, I hadnā€™t paid attention to this before on the basis I didnā€™t want to be scrolling through Twitter. Do you have any personal favourites you would recommend?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Iā€™m happy to hear youā€™ve enjoyed reading it

1 Like

One thing I have observed over the 11 years I have been testing, and I find it more and more fascinating:
is
When I ask tough questions or point out an inconsistency or dilemma or paradox or contradiction or ambiguityā€¦these often led into conversations that need to handled carefully.

How exactly people react and then respond can be extremely revealing, I think, about their unspoken biases, priorities, and misunderstandingsā€¦it can give a clue to all sorts of tacit or unspoken information that could be really helpful.

4 Likes

How are you getting on with your learning journey @lharney ?

Whatā€™s interesting you at the moment?

1 Like

@danielbilling Thanks for asking. Itā€™s tough going at the moment because my focus is ISTQB, which is a bit dry! Iā€™m trying to balance it out with having a go at crowd testing and also reading @parveenkhanā€™s testing tours. Things that feel a little bit more real!

4 Likes

Happy to have a chat any time about itā€¦DM me here, or if you are on Twitter @thetestdoctor.

1 Like

Yes @christianfield! When I transitioned from development to test engineering, I was surprised to see how much social interaction was a part of testing. It was a soft skill that I needed to improve.
I think it also demonstrated how subtly pervasive testing is within a project and project team.

Joe

1 Like