Application Monitoring Tool

(Chris) #1

Hi,

Not sure if this sort of thing is allowable on here, so if not, just let me know and I’ll remove it.

In my role, I have been responsible for managing the various environments we use. One the systems I have been involved with was comprised of several applications, apis, databases etc. Each of these components are integrated in some way.

When one of these parts goes down, it can cause a knock-on effect on other components. When an issue is reported, it can take time to work out which component has gone down.

With that, one of tools I usually create and put in place is some sort of monitoring tool. In the past, I’ve written tailored solutions for the area I’m working in.

I thought I ought to write something flexible, something that allows someone to quickly configure the components they’d like to monitor. I’m not claiming this is something unique or new. There are plenty of such open-source and commercial packages readily available. But, now and then, it’s nice to do something yourself and it gave me a chance to learn more about Node.js and React.

If you’re interested, I wrote a tool that will check websites, web-apps, APIs and servers are available and respond within the expected time. You can find it here. I should add, this is completely free and open source.

If you do try it, I’d be grateful for any feedback…

How Do You Monitor?