Ask Me Anything: Mobile Testing

Tonight we had Daniel Knott the latest Ask Me Anything all about Mobile Testing. Thanks to @dnlknott for a great session.

I’ll share the resources below that I was able to catch on the night. If I missed a resource or you have another question you’d like to ask, please share it on this thread.

If you missed the live session, a recording will be available on the Dojo .

I’d like to understand if anyone’s had experience of using Katalon for testing of iOS and Android mobile apps. I have just started to explore this tool but would be interest to know advantages/disadvantages of Katalon compared to other testing tools.

1 Like

Hi Julie,
so far I never used Katalon to test mobile apps. I only read about it. Therefore, I can’t answer your question but maybe somebody from the community can help you.

Best,
Daniel

Hey! What are the most fast wins with native mobile application security, which tests manually and which automated migrated to CI? Interested to find ways to make automated security tests in mobile development! Thank you!

1 Like

Hello All,

where to find the log files on physical mobile devices if there is any crash happening while doing our testing.

1 Like

Hi Pekka,
for some quick wins take a look at this https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Mobile_Security_Project. I guess you will find many practical tips to perform. As mentioned already in the AMA session, I highly recommend to get help from security experts in order to cover more possible security leaks in the own product.

1 Like

Hi Subbu,

if you connect your testing device to your computer you can get access to the logs either via Android Studio or XCode.

Take a look at the example provided by Google using the tool adb

and here find some information about logging of iOS apps
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/os/logging

1 Like

Hi @dnlknott

Thanks for the info… will explore more on that…

2 Likes

Using Appium
I am encountering a wide range of automation blockers on the iOS platform. It feels like “restart the device” is the most common solution suggested by websriver. I’m 10 miles away from my device under test, and XCUiTest does not seem to have a button for doing that kind of thing either. Do we know what the big think is on handling alerts that block the driver, and the Facebook web driver just wanting to “rebuild” in xcode every time being a general source of perplexity.

The vague architecture image I have also does not help me to work out where to try prod around to solve an automation blocker like webdriver just being an ass, or the target driver not supporting ability to handle alerts well in all situations. I would post for help on the Selenium forums, but there is a lot of “drivethrough” people, on discuss.appium.io that often goes nowhere near serious application usage.

1 Like