Build a Testing Profile in public

@fullsnacktester’s idea to build a profile in public – with fellow testing professionals – is a great idea.

Feel free to jump in and share your profile-building journey on this post.

8 Likes

This is pretty cool, I’ve been thinking about updating my portfolio with a few blog posts.

2 Likes

Thanks again for sharing your idea with us @fullsnacktester. I’m currently working as a QA and would like to start a job search in September. I don’t have a testing portfolio, website, or blog, so I’ll be starting from scratch.

I’m submitting my first article outline ever to MoT this week, so we’ll see how that’s received.

4 Likes

This is great! Thank @simon_tomes

So, how I’m intending to do this:

• I will choose myself one next thing to learn next, and let others know
  • I will post updates where, on Twitter and my learning journal blog
  • Once I feel I’ve done enough on a topic, I will make some kind of artifact to add to my portfolio
  • I will also make improvements to my portfolio website, and experiment with different ways to surface my content
3 Likes

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity for me to get a page going in GitHub, like I’ve been putting off… :thinking:

3 Likes

There are plenty of free hosting options for portfolio sites, like GitHub pages, basically, the only cost is around $10 yearly for the domain name, if you want and need one.

3 Likes

OK So my first quest / topic is going to be Testing Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems.

For this I am going to read chapters of the book “Artificial Intelligence and Software Testing - Building systems you can trust”. I hope to either reflect on the content of each chapter in a blog post, or even better carry out some related practice or exercise, where I can make that work.

As a side quest, I’m going to explore ways I can update my portfolio, starting with finally making myself a GitHub readme for myself.

4 Likes

It is a really good book!

2 Likes

OK First side-quest complete, I created a first draft on my GitHub Profile README.md!

And I journaled my learnings from doing it:

3 Likes

I did the thing!

4 Likes

Sounds like a brilliant idea, I need to learn Github. Building a portfolio on Github can be exciting.

2 Likes

Having some testopsies in public probably is a great addition.

1 Like

I have made some updates to my website to be a better online profile for myself.
I have a new page, Appearances, where I’ve listed my appearances in TestBash, Podcasts and YouTube channels.

I’ve also updated my About page, and updated my GitHub README.md to be in sync with this.

My next quest will be to update https//www.fullsnacktester.com, but I’m not sure what work I want to do there yet. So I need to do some design work.

2 Likes

Love the concept of an appearances page. It looks great. What an excellent way to share with others so they can get to know you and see how you could help.

2 Likes

Thanks Simon!

For those wanting to get some more inspiration, other people have some good examples:

@lisihocke has a “Speaking Engagements” page:

Nicola Lindgren has a “Speaking” page:

@automationpanda has a Speaking page:

4 Likes