Do you have a testing portfolio?

I spotted @alg’s portfolio and thought it was a great opportunity for us to share other testing portfolios. I love how he included TestBash 99 second talks within it, he spoke to my heart on those! :smiley:

Do you have one to share? Or have you seen one in the wild that you love?

6 Likes

It’s pretty cool and minimalistic, me gusta! :smiley:

I do have one, I made it years ago when I was learning React a bit:

My biggest challenge was adding projects, if I was a developer (especially a FE developer) or a designer, this would be pretty straightforward. So I figured I’d start blogging, doing a bit of public speaking, and such to have some stuff to put there.

But I think testers who don’t like or want to be blogging or doing public speaking can still get creative and put stuff on their portfolio. If you’re doing automation you can put links to let’s say GitHub repositories of different automation frameworks you made.

Testers who are not doing automation can still show things as well. With a bit of markdown knowledge, you can make pretty visually appealing documentation, for free and publicly available on GitHub or elsewhere, you can display test charters, comprehensive and succinct bug reports, test cases, mind maps, and guides for tools you can use, etc.

I remember reading a very good blog post by Beth Marshall on this topic:

I’ll need to figure out what’s causing that broken image link - I suspect some OG tags are missing on my site. I noticed one small glitch - while typing the link and preview started jiggling and dancing, here’s a GIF I recorded:
Recording 2024-01-24 at 11.26.11

2 Likes

I wonder what a portfolio of testing would look like.
Testing is a process of evaluation, & learning about products so I’d have a hard time expressing in writing my thoughts.

What does a tester collect or make?
A list of bug reports? achievements for the company/product tested? changes made that improved the effectiveness or cost of testing? testimonies from colleagues, clients, customers? reports of some of the worst or hardest-to-find bugs and their impact on the business? amount of features/products tested, amount of people annoyed, the debates won, the minds changed, the ratio of bugs reported/to fixed bugs, the amount of customer support calls/tickets regarding software issues, etc…

Portfolio is partly based on the Latin folium , meaning “leaf, sheet”. A portfolio usually represents a portable showcase of your talents. Today actual portfolios are used less than they used to be by artists, since most commercial artists have a website dedicated to showing off their art. But portfolio in its other common meaning is extremely common. Not so long ago, a broker would keep each of his or her clients’ investments in a separate notebook or portfolio. Today the investment portfolio, like an artist’s portfolio, usually takes the form of a Web page, even though everyone still uses the same old word.

Absolutely!

And Beth’s blog post on the topic is super helpful.

1. Landing a Job in the Hidden Jobs Market
  2. Increasing Confidence (You can do it!)
  3. Code Reuse
  4. Side Hustle: Opportunities to Speak, Write and get involved
  5. Inspiring Others
2 Likes