Cypress or Selenium or Both of them for two different projects

Hello community! :slightly_smiling_face:

I do not know from what to begin, but lets begin from what we have.
There are 2 different projects. The first one is an old project with sub-projects and different types of users, so it is very huge and complex. The second one is a new one, it is small and it is written in a different way.

We have decided to cover with tests mandatory, frequently used by clients features, functionalities. Here we have some ideas how to do this:

1. Use Cypress only for old one, because we have a lot of staff to cover and may be it will go quicker than with Selenium. Selenium will be used only for a new one, we want to cover and frontend side, some staff on backend side + API. But I am not sure that it is a good one, because in this case we should have 2 different engineers.

2. Use Selenium on both projects. Ok, for a new one, but since the old project is very complex, I am afraid that we will spend a lot of time on creating tests even searching locators, XPaths and so on (yeah, we have a lot of hidden staff) and there is no idea to touch API and backend side.

3. Use Cypress on both projects.

I like the first one, but I can be wrong, because:

• I do not use Cypress and because of lack information, I can miss something
  • We should have 2 different engineers, which cannot be moved between projects in case of burned out with current work.

So I would like to know your opinion in this case? What would you do? or May be you have another idea? :blush:

Thank you in advance.

You really want to use the environments of these 2 different products and their fragility, if at all as a decider, the tools themselves donโ€™t really care though. In the end I suspect you will double your effort by choosing 2 frameworks, either framework should do the job if you pool your tooling effort and it will reduce time lost setting up your CI/CD and test-farm or cloud by being in one box.

Hi, Conrad!
You gave me an answer as I supposed, there are more โ€œbutโ€ against this idea. It will help me to convince people and to choose the right one tool for us :slightly_smiling_face: . Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Hi @veronica_s ,

we are getting rid-off Selenium because the latest CISO hardening disabled the โ€œplaybackโ€-mode (donโ€™t know the exact feature name of the browser) which Se uses.

• We use for โ€œone pagerโ€ web applications Cypress and the most usage is in the development cycle in the code development to be sure to have coded the right things.
  • We do not use Cypress if we need to use multi-tab pages because Cypress cannot handle that (it is an architectual issue of Cypress as an โ€œin-placeโ€ test framework)
  • We use with business analysts and development-people in many projects (mobile as well as web-applications) Sahi Pro because it meets our needs in using business-driven test automation (BDTA). Business people can create in a web-spreadsheet (looks like Excel but isnโ€™t :slight_smile: ) keywords and record them with assertions and code-developers can use directly their IDE to develop JavaScript code - if they want.

That is our solution. Maybe it machtes yours.

Jogi

Hi Jogi !
Thank you for your reply.
Interesting solution and information. :thinking:
In general, we can use any. We have only one dilemma, what tool is the best for our projects. Both of them cannot cover everything what we need or will need, in some cases it will be necessary to use libraries or other tools. In all cases we have time to do research. :slightly_smiling_face: