πŸ€– Day 20: Learn about AI self-healing tests and evaluate how effective they are

For self healing tests with A.I., I see value in this feature as we are suffering in automation a lot with regression test cases that fail every now and then. The so called flaky tests. Sometimes you don’t have grip on this and it is good that A.I. assists you in recognizing these flaky tests and come up with solutions. These A.I. proposed solutions are indicating where in the code this flakiness appears. These proposed solutions from A.I. are for you to judge if it solves the problem or not.

Sometimes the A.I. proposed solution solves the problem because you have to deal with e.g. timing issues. But that is not always the case. The problem can also be in the application code. With a tool like Replay.io, it helps to bridge the communication gap between the testers and the developers by offering an exact replication of bugs and their execution steps. See this video β€œReplay.io: The Future of Test Automation” (URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxYZhS9Tkzw)

If a test fails due to a modification in the software, A.I. with the self healing test feature assists you also with detecting these issues and come up with suggestions. In this situation proposal can be more reliable, because the problems which need to be solved are locator issues, buttons no longer there or renamed or link to next page does not exist anymore.

For sure I would delegate this self healing tests feature to an A.I., as I see the A.I. as an assistant. It helps me to quickly guide me to a possible outcome that can beneficial. As I don’t know how the A.I. comes with this possible outcome, it is for me to judge if it is correct and useful.

I mentioned in Day 6 a tool called Functionize (You build great products, we take care of the tests). I checked out their web site and I’m interested in looking how to integrate this in my daily work. The tool uses all the test runs executed in the past and check it with the current run. Based on this it can assist in the flakiness of the tests and help put with the regression issues.

3 Likes