Do you use AI for test planning?

• Yes
  • No
  • Didnā€™t know you could!
0 voters

:star: Bonus points for sharing how you do it

4 Likes

Yea! So Iā€™ve been recently using a few (multiple, each their own purpose) AI Agents for testing purposes and one of them is for planning.

I can feed to user stories and it would give me a list of user stories which could go into the sprint based on priority and story points. Further then that, it would also tell me which tester of my team would best be fit to pick up the user story based on their expertise and logged bugs in the past (that Iā€™ve fed to the Agent).

Nice to know, we keep our holidays and office days in an online excel sheet, which our agent has access to, and before asking the agent something like this (like before a sprint planning etc) Iā€™ll retrain it with the links, blogs, videoā€™s connected to the Agent, so heā€™s up to date with our holidays etc!)

Works out pretty good, Iā€™ll always have to review it but better then starting to write from scratch and sometimes people ask ā€œcan I do this?ā€ and Iā€™ll manually swap it out but coming to think of it, I can just ask our agent this also next timeā€¦ (only happened once so far)

My agent also makes a workflow for me for the original test planning.

3 Likes

Two things/concerns that immediately came to mind here:

1. Is this an Agent that youā€™ve spun up internally, or a publicly available one (i.e. that may use the data you feed it for further training)? The former should be fine, but depending on the work youā€™re doing (my current project is a government contract) that second choice could be very questionable from a data security perspective. Even a user story without PII could still be an insight into commercial secrets.
  2. How have you verified the accuracy of the recommendations that the agent gives you? Is it making the same decisions that you would have, if you took the time? Iā€™m also curious about what aspects of a previously logged bug makes a user suitable to pick up a new story.

Full disclosure, Iā€™m very much an AI sceptic, at least for the current models being floated around as must-have tools, that are usually LLMā€™s or some other version of Generative AI (which cannot reason, they can only provide convincing guesses based on probabilities).

2 Likes

Aah good questions and obvious ones! :slight_smile:

So to give a bit more context, weā€™ve been on an ā€œAI in QAā€ track for a while. Iā€™m also a big sceptic about it. But from what Iā€™ve been using for some things itā€™s quite nice and for some itā€™s really bad :stuck_out_tongue:

But nothing is publicly available, we also donā€™t share anything with has confidential information (secrets etc) just to be sure.

Itā€™s basically a manual review.
Iā€™ve said it to my Coā€™s this way:

You know how in a big team there is a ā€œLead Devā€ who does 20% dev work but also 80% Code Reviews? Well using AI in QA for ā€œeverythingā€ is the same. You adjust 20% yourself and the rest is just " AI Review".

A few years ago we made a model with tensorflow that could tell us by ~82% accuracy (over time) where bugs would occur based on which developer was going to pick up the user story. Based on their experience and bugs logged to their User Stories, the model could prediction defects (such as, ā€˜person X will forget to make this field mandatoryā€™) and that would be useful information for that developer to increase their maturity.

Iā€™m gonna say, in order to step into this process you really need to turn around everything in your organization, everything needs to be in an ā€œexactā€ way to work. (for now)

Exactly. Itā€™s still sort of guess work and the answer will not be 100% correct. Hence the ā€œfull time reviewā€ job, itā€™s just something weā€™ve been experimenting with since Jan 2024. I kind of hate it XD (but I do admit, itā€™s quite nice in some cases)

2 Likes

Good clarifications overall, cheers.

Iā€™m not sure I still quite understand where the data is going sorry - is the agent something in house that never can send anything to a 3rd party outside your company? Or is that still a risk vector?

I may need to clarify what I meant by business secrets - it doesnā€™t have to be ā€œconfidentialā€ information in the way that many people think. Business processes alone (which are what youā€™re going to feed into the agent via user stories) can often be considered commercial secrets, from a legal standpoint.

2 Likes

My bad, itā€™s build internally.

Since itā€™s internally build the business processes donā€™t matter much. We are a consultancy company, so itā€™s not like we have a webshop or anything alike or have secret flows to connect to a bank or w/e. XD

Most of it are todoā€™s or stuff for our internal application. Nothing to fancy :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m quite new in this field, so Iā€™m not that experienced, but atm I try to generate testcases by using AI. But this needs much more refinement to be that helpful :X

4 Likes

I find the paid version fairly useful and it remembers the train of thought to some extent.

I am a light usage user, like a very average buddy to bounce things off or a short cut to many things.

It has access to a lot more knowledge and data than most individuals would have, yes some of it is flawed and you need to practice to ask the right questions but that broad data and information access is useful.

For the above, I would not put in the actual intelligent class, almost all of the above I can get in other ways, in many times better more accurate ways like talking to someone but I still see value in it and convenient.

You can ask for examples, risk ideas, test ideas, formatting or giving it problems to give ideas to help you solve. Note I use the term ideas a lot when using it, it does not solve my problems it gives me fallible insight and ideas to help me solve my problems.

Itā€™s not just planning, many aspects in testing it can give ideas, Iā€™ve been using a bit more recently with automation for example. Because Iā€™m using a new tool and Iā€™m like a junior user in that tool its average responses are still new insight for me.

I still prefer human mentors or human sounding boards but this can be a convenient semi-substitute but will access to a much larger knowledge base.

2 Likes

I mostly use LLMā€™s and as of recently Testim (from Tricentis) for UI scripting.

2 Likes

Very useful idea. How is AI be able to access to your online excel sheet and how secure is it?

Itā€™s just a link you provide it and it can read the tables.
Itā€™s just like providing it a link of a blog or youtube video and itā€™s able to process it. (I donā€™t know the magic behind AI on ā€œhowā€ exactly)

You could also manually upload excel files but then itā€™s not ā€œliveā€

As I canā€™t link our own tool; I did some research before hand and ā€œtaskadeā€ compares a lot to it. It has premium features where you can link your data to it, for example the blog about Cypress & POM in the sc. (Only downpart here is that itā€™s in their system and now ā€œyoursā€)

But as you can see, you can add a lot of different data to it & integrations.

Sc of Taskade:

2 Likes

Also, there a way to upload your data source for paid ChatGPT.

Itā€™s called custom GTPs Explore GPTs.

You can upload your data and make a prompts to make some test planing or coverage.

I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s accurate right how however itā€™s a matter of further exploring and making correct prompt to get best answers.