Done is not just a document

I ranted about Scrumā€™s Definition of Done: Done is not just a document

tl;dr: ā€˜doneā€™ is (should be treated as) a adjective, not (as) a noun. People agree what is done. Any document is just a tool for that.

What are your insights and problems with the Definition of Done?

1 Like

Done can mean different things for different people, at different times, just like quality.
Iā€™d think of it like this: what does ā€˜doneā€™ mean and when does anyone apply it?
Rarely the entire company is agile. There might be different agile models or interpretations. So ā€˜doneā€™ can be interpreted differently.

When a description doesnā€™t fit someone at some time:

• they ask for it to be changed;
  • they ignore it;
  • they do things hidden either alone or with a few allies;
  • they make exceptions(just this time);
  • they add specificities(only for, only in case of, when, ā€¦)
  • when things go wrong anywhere, more rules that might fix the problem are added
  • when things go well, regardless of what random ā€˜doneā€™ approach is applied, no one remembers about it(months later someone asks, did we have a dod?)
  • when too many rules slow down the process, formal description items get removed to lighten the process;
  • when faster releases are wanted, at least half of it doesnā€™t apply and/or is ignored;
  • if it doesnā€™t look good to some manager, some change can be forced;
  • if a manager wants something unrelated to the ā€˜doneā€™, he can ask for it to be there to be applied by the team;

The places that Iā€™ve seen where a DOD worked better is where the people communicated openly and agreed with each other and didnā€™t formally describe anything, in contrast with the places where some were feeling forced into doing something by a bunch of other people in a formal way - revised each several weeks.

Itā€™s good to discuss as a team from time to time and agree on adaptations when to broadly agree on something to be done.

And thinking of it from a testerā€™s perspective I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea to get too involved in owning this from a quality point of view. Itā€™s extremely dangerous.

2 Likes

Done = my team is unaware of additional work that my team can do medium term, to make this deliverable any sweeter than it is.

2 Likes

I agree with your post and donā€™t get this part.
You mean testers should not insistence too much that bugs gets fixed?

Instead of the typical ā€œall tests are green/passedā€ I brought this into ours:
ā€œcurrent test coverage and results are acceptedā€

1 Like

I have worked with a number of teams that have created Definitions of Done and wrote this about my experiences: Three short stories about the Definition of Done ā€“ TestAndAnalysis

My definition:
Done: Until itā€™s a reasonable solution to a user problem.

My teamā€™s definition:
Done: Depends on how much time we have left?

1 Like

A Definition of Done is a checklist. I recently read The Checklist Manifesto and would recommend reading it because it gives so many insights into checklists: A review of ā€The Checklist Manifesto How to Get Things Rightā€ by Atul Gawande ā€“ TestAndAnalysis

What I meant was that I donā€™t recommend that a tester be:

• a gatekeeper for when a backlog item is done;
  • be the owner of the definition of done and its enforcer;
  • be the decider of what gets released;
  • be the owner of the quality of a product(which is sometimes mentioned in the DoD);
3 Likes

I was very impressed with ā€œdoneā€ as a young engineer back in the early 90ā€™s. Project leaders made every project being the one crucial for the organization. Worked endless hours and took stress medicines.

100+ projects later my knowledge is deeper. The customer awaits more than stuff on time and thatā€™s a win-win. Constantly and stress-free providence, starting from day 1 of the project and into the years after the delivery is what makes you and the customer happy. Done is not really all that significant. A process ongoing is what I prefer, and what keeps my customers satisfied.

The same with the carpenter I use for renovations of my house. There are always stuff to do, and I call him, knowing he will produce good work for reasonable money. And you want to be that kind of guy too.

2 Likes

Every managers nightmare, embrace the fire :slight_smile: