Exploratory Test Note Taking - Rapid Reporter (Mac)

A few years ago, I embarked on a project to provide a conversion of Shmuel Gershonā€™s popular Rapid Reporter tool - the result of which, lives RapidReporterMac in github.

After the swift programming language moved to 3.0, I took some time to refactor the implementation, and make design tweaks so it would be more in line with the original look and feel. A snapshot of what it looks like can be seen below:

I made a few aesthetic tweaks, most notably:

• The progress bar is now set behind the text field to provide that subtle indicator of how far you are into your session
  • A visual indicator of the session length (Iā€™m always scrambling around trying to set/remind myself of how long I setup a session for)
  • Generation of a (customisable) HTML file in addition to the standard CSV.

Part of the reason for Rapid Reporterā€™s popularity is that itā€™s simple and unassuming. It purposely doesnā€™t have a lot of bells and whistles or visible cues as we donā€™t want it to take focus away from your testing. Having said that, I do often wonder whether there are things that you wish Rapid Reporter would do that it currently doesnā€™t.

Iā€™m almost at the point where I could release this via a new github repo, but have thought about making it available via the App Store - just for ease of pushing updates, etc. Naturally, the tool would be free, no ads, no in-app purchases, etc.

So, my question(s) to you:

• Do you use Rapid Reporter?
  • What does it do well?
  • What doesnā€™t it do well?
  • What would you want to see in terms of enhancements (if any)?
6 Likes

I did, until I was on Mac. I have missed the -ToHtml since I have had to change.

I would LOVE to see the application accessible with the enhancements you are talking about in this post as a DMG as well as maybe even a start stop of a video stream. Sometimes a short video is good. A picture is worth 1000 words. A video can sometimes be worth 10000 words if used appropriately.

1 Like

Thanks for your work and for making this available!
I recently started using rapidreporter, and I stumbled upon this question while searching for the ā€˜newā€™ rapidreporter after I saw a screenshot in your talk on TestBash Brighton.

What I like about it:

• simple
  • unobstrusive

Iā€™d like:

• clearer onboarding interface: I noticed that quite some people are confused (myself included) with the opening screen just saying ā€˜reporterā€™, then ā€˜charterā€™. That is actually some sort of wizard, but the interface doesnā€™t show that to the user. And then you are in ā€˜Setupā€™, which is actually the first ā€˜entryā€™ (setup being the type of that entry). Iā€™d move ā€˜Reporterā€™ and ā€˜Charterā€™ somewhere else Ć³r clearly distinguish it from the filing of entries
  • being able to disable some of the types I donā€™t use. Now I have to press the arrowkeys 4 times to go from ā€˜noteā€™ to ā€˜bugā€™. Or maybe ā€˜editā€™ them if possible: in another thread I saw a team that also included ā€˜praiseā€™ as a type, that was nice imho
  • to edit the location of the CSV, so I can save it to Dropbox
  • to edit previous entries (I find myself quite ofter hitting the enterbutton a bit too soon)
  • to scroll through my previous entries to edit and re-enter them (like you do with the up-arrow in Terminal), since I use the same remarks very often when Iā€™m loggin my testing session

EDIT: apparently my previous reply was not postedā€¦ Iā€™ll try again. Sorry if it shows double now.

@khastings I use the Chrome-plugin Screencastify for video recording. I can also record your webcam + microphone if you like. The output is a hyperlink, so itā€™s easy to add as an entry to Rapid Reporter.

Is the source for the Windows version available?