We have a requirement to provide the ability to create realistic test data across our website and present this as some sort of customizable GUI.
Has anyone built or seen something like this where it worked reasonably well?
The reason’s for wanting to do this are…
- Creating data quickly for anyone wishing to use the site, e.g. a QA wanting to test a new feature that requires allot of manual steps to setup the data
- Black box automation tests that require allot of data setup and teardown.
- Performance testing against a live site
- Load testing
- Potentially others
The intention is that this could be used by both technical and non-technical people alike. So for those that are comfortable, they could call the backend of this test data generator app directly, or they could use some sort of GUI to trigger the data generation.
The challenge is making this customizable in terms of the data created, and I can’t quite visualise how this might look.
For example, we could create an easy way to create a realistic customer, but then a requirement comes in whereby we need to customize the customer address. We add that to the GUI and then another requirement comes in wanting to customize the customers marketing preferences and so on and so on. You end up with a screen littered with customizable fields and still there might be scenarios that are not catered for. You also potentially have nested data, so you may want to customise 3 different addresses for a customer.
It would need to be…
- Simple - Just generate me this data. I don’t care about the details
- Customizable - I need this data with these specific details
- Safe - The data needs to be valid and robust
Any thoughts on how one might do this from a visual and technical perspective? Am I asking for too much?!