How can a QA/TA engineer find a side hustle?

Hey everyone,

I’m reaching out to the community today to seek some advice and ideas on how a QA/TA engineer like myself can find a side hustle. While my full-time job somewhat pays the bills, I believe that having a side hustle can bring in additional income and provide new opportunities for growth and learning.

I know there are many talented individuals in this community, and I’m curious to hear about your experiences or any insights you might have. Here are a few questions I have in mind:

1. What are some potential side hustles that are compatible with the skill set of a QA/TA engineer?
  2. I know there are specific online platforms that cater to professionals in the tech industry like Fiverr, Upwork and other freelance networks but I don’t fully understand who or why would require a service of a test automation engineer other than more-than-average sized enterprises (that, to begin with, will require more than 1 TA engineer for the scale of work involved)?
  3. How can I effectively balance my full-time job with a side hustle without compromising the quality of my work?
  4. Can you share any success stories or tips from your own journey in finding a side hustle as a QA/TA engineer?

I’m eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Whether it’s freelance testing opportunities, consulting gigs, or even leveraging automation skills for small projects, any input is greatly appreciated. I hope the discussion might help others in finding a suitable side hustle options within our field too.

Looking forward to the discussion!

3 Likes

Firstly side hustling, depending on what work you’re doing, is sometimes excluded by a contract. Consider what you’re contractually permitted to do, and also what would annoy your employer either way. Many employers would consider you to be de facto on retainer for services rendered.

1. What are some potential side hustles that are compatible with the skill set of a QA/TA engineer?
  • Freelance work
  • Write a blog, with advertisements
  • Publish a book
  • Start a video channel
  • Record courses for Udemy et al.
  • Tutoring
  • Write and sell tools, apps or APIs
  • Bug bounties
  • Join with others to test a new software project and share in the profits.
  1. I know there are specific online platforms that cater to professionals in the tech industry like Fiverr, Upwork and other freelance networks but I don’t fully understand who or why would require a service of a test automation engineer other than more-than-average sized enterprises (that, to begin with, will require more than 1 TA engineer for the scale of work involved)?

The second I worked for myself is the second I realised how tragic the machinations of capitalism truly are. When people say they provide a service it’s much less about capabilities and technical value, and much more of an emotional exchange. People will pay other people to do things because they find them scary, or doubt themselves, or think they don’t have the time - sometimes because they have failed to understand very simple things. I know a man who got paid to drive out to people’s houses and plug the coaxial cable back into their televisions. So it’s about extracting money from people for value they’re getting, even if that value is “I don’t understand something I could learn in 5 minutes, but I’ll pay you to listen to me complain about it while you do it for me”. The people who sell computers at PC World are not hardware experts with a passion for components; I think you see where I’m going.

Then advertising and marketing become much clearer concepts, and while it may be obvious why they take up so much budget it becomes terrifyingly clear when one realises that ones place in the world as a businessperson is more about sales, negotiation and manipulation than it is about skill and knowledge and technical capability. Doing testing is a one thing, selling testing is a completely different thing.

So, in short, people will pay you to do things because you have convinced them that they have a need for it. You sell the problem then the solution.

If you’re thinking of automation as a side-hustle you’re probably looking at contract work (I can’t imagine you’d be permitted to do that, or have the time to), or consultancy (perhaps a little easier, depending on the circumstances, but comes with responsibilities that may clash with your contract job), or teaching. A small company may need help to set up an environment for automation and begin a new automation project, or training on how to use their tools.

Or you can use a subset of those skills. You can write code, so you can develop apps, for example. Think about all the little things you do that you don’t notice - setting up environments, working with networks, driving to work, and think about how it might turn a profit.

Please be warned that all exchange of money for services involves interacting at some level with a “customer”, who are the worst people on the planet.

You could apply a creative endeavour with your domain knowledge. Sell T-shirts that say keep calm and on. The idea here is to make money faster than you hate yourself. Although if you’re actually creative, and from your writing you appear erudite, you could come up with something good, too. You can get others to sell your designs on products now, which saves you a lot of hassle and inventory and data protection and returns policy.

1. How can I effectively balance my full-time job with a side hustle without compromising the quality of my work?

Every second you spend making money outside of your career is time, energy and attention you could be putting into making yourself a better tester, or a better automation designer. However if you can find money in things you already do outside of your work hours and responsibilities that feed into your own education, that would be self-improvement while getting paid.

You need to decide what you can get away with in your job, and how much spare resource resource you have for your hustle - and what the flexibility of that resource is (what if your job keeps you late for a week?).

1. Can you share any success stories or tips from your own journey in finding a side hustle as a QA/TA engineer?

I never made money out of my extra work. So, basically, no I can’t. But I tested open source software, did mentoring, wrote articles and posts about testing, answered testing questions online, did lunchtime workshops with other testers at my company, had a fairly successful social media following and so on. I found those to help me, emotionally and intellectually. Making any of these profitable would have been possible, but not helped me in my goals - and I was well paid by a company who paid more for my propensity to self improve and teach others.

I think that, say, monetising my blog would have created a lot of problems for me. A responsibility to make content, the need to make clickbait and advertise everywhere, pressure to use antipatterns for profit, working on the SEO and a bunch of other admin I have no interest in, the usual stuff that comes with money, and the creative restrictions that imposes.

I made all my extra money from financial investments, prudent savings, budgeting and non-testing-related activities in basements.

Hope some of that was of import

11 Likes

Thank you for an exhaustive and super solid answer. I was introduced to a completely new perspective of seeing side hustles and “selling problems” by your reply.

To give a bit more context about my free time and contractual conflicts with pursuing a side gig - As it often happens, during the agile lifetime of a new project I find myself having a lot of free time in the beginning of the projects life cycle, even up to the middle. Stories are under development by the devs and my work starts to loom in once they’re finishing up on their part. Up until that point, I often find myself having the extra time to do “me time”. Frankly, I don’t think anyone would notice or reprimand me for using these blank windows at work for pursuing my other goals. Even if they did find out, the environment is very friendly and I might just get an informal warning.

Entire point of starting this tread was finding ways to utilise the “me time” to yield the best rewards either financially or intellectually.

While I’m looking forward to seeing other answers too, your reply has already given me a lot to contemplate on, for which I’m truly thankful!

3 Likes

As a tester, I find I am involved right from day 1, I never have slow or pressure time that builds as a feature nears completion. I’m also not the type who would “hustle”… but I love the idea of selling your skills twice. A lot of us use the time after 5pm as a space to blog, vlog or build our “me” brand. These days life is all about career progression and building earnings potential. If you start a side hustle that does not fit your dream, all you are doing is playing hamster to the money-gods.

I go with Chris who has explained it so well in the long form, if you have the energy, start a side hustle that not only teaches you skills, but lets you build your personal brand. Often that might be something counter intuitive, like becoming an events organiser to build your people skills or administrative skills up, and thus to become a team leader at a future job.

1 Like

What an excellent topic of discussion. Thanks for asking @stall1wow.

One option is to find a way to contribute to the Ministry of Testing community. We pay all contributors who:

• Host an event or conference
  • Write an article
  • Lead a Masterclass webinar
  • Speak on an Ask Me Anything or Discussion Panel
  • Speak/run a workshop/activity at a conference (TestBash)
  • Run a 99 Minute Workshop
  • Record feature videos
  • Plus more!

Stay up-to-date with our open calls for contribution and their respective payment details on this dedicated page: Calls for Contribution | Ministry of Testing

Hopefully folks who have done some of this already can share their success stories and how they’ve made it work with their existing work commitments.

6 Likes

I have a few side hustles and most don’t make money. My primary goal is to learn and my secondary goal is to make money (it keeps things sustainable).

I built https://testingconferences.org/ because I was working at a Ruby shop, we were using a new CI system and I wanted to become more familiar with both. So I had this idea of building a list of conferences and workshops because it overlapped with my interests + I could learn. I later built a newsletter and added sponsorships to keep it sustainable over the years.

Writing is interesting because to get good at it (just like with coding) you need to be consistently doing it. Over the years I’ve switched blogging tools so many times I’ve lost count. I’ve done it to learn new tech stacks by rolling my own but I spent more time playing and learning the underlying tech then I did actually understanding and writing things. Now I’m straight up only interested in writing and building an audience at kenst.com. Turns out you can learn a ton by just thinking through problems and sharing what you learn.

To answer some specific questions:

1. Lots of potential side hustles that are compatible but I don’t know your skills or desires to tell you specifically what to do.
  2. I’ve chosen not to freelance much. While yes you do get paid for the work, I like working on my own interesting problems than someone else’s.
  3. The challenge with being effective is to plan well and only focus on a few things. Do x number of blog posts per month. Or if you want to deploy your own test site for automation practice, figure out what the components are and then set a schedule to deliver them.
  4. It took me a long time and lots of tries to find the right mix of what interested me, what challenges me and what fits into my schedule. I’d love to do 1000 things but that usually means I don’t get anything done. I’m trying to be diligent about trying and finishing one thing at a time. I think that’s the best advice.

– Chris

4 Likes

Hey Anzo!

Ministry of Testing started as a side hustle, I never thought it would become what it has.

The key is to start small. Make sure you enjoy the focus. And give focus on growth in whatever way you can. Growth and can be personal, it can be subscribers, it can be money.

It actually takes most efforts years to make money, but there is also equal value in building an audience. This then naturally taps into opportunities that come your way, which you would likely never get if no one knew you existed.

3 Likes