How do you "Plan to automate" - Automation in Testing Curriculum

Hi all,

This year we’re actively working to create a curriculum focused on automation that is created with feedback from the testing community.

@friendlytester and I have been reviewing feedback and we were reading the replies for the task “Create an automation strategy” and @flynnbops resonated with us:

It triggered a discussion around how a strategy focuses on the ‘holistic whole’ but what happens when you need to focus on a specific automation activity. Which meant we created a new task in the Job profile entitled

Planning to automate

Myself and Richard have taken this task and then listed the different steps you have to take to successfully create an automation strategy. Which are listed below:

1. Document an automation plan
  2. Get feedback on plan from team
  3. Slice up tasks to carry out

What we would like to know is what do you think of these steps? Have we missed anything? Is there anything in this list that doesn’t make sense?

What are your thoughts on these steps? How do you go about creating an automation strategy?

3 Likes

one small thought on this. While I understand the breakdown from “planning to automate” to “document an automation plan”. It’s still bland. Could it perhaps be extended with a few topics like this?

Document an automation plan within topics such as: IDE setup & accesses, coding guidelines, environments, and interactions with other teams.

I reckon we will get to “Do”, “Check”, and “Act” for the automation activity some other day. :wink:

/Jesper

Prior to “Planning to automate”, has the discussion of what to automate already been covered?

Good shout @jesper. We will of course expand these steps out into learning outcomes which will give more detail. But we’ll discuss how we can make that step a little less abstract.

@pennytests we did indeed cover that discussion here: How do you "Create an automation strategy"? - Automation in Testing Curriculum - #6 by hels