How has being a software tester changed you?

This question appeared from the community via the Social Questions document.

The replies on LinkedIn are super revealing.

I replied with:

I continue to ask more questions than I probably should - about everything! Just can’t help myself.

I also end up playing out all sorts of risk scenarios with whatever happens to be going on in my life. Which probably doesn’t support my mental well-being as much as I’d like it to.

How about you, how has being a software tester changed you?

2 Likes

I wrote it on LinkedIn, that it made me look for bugs on websites all the time - and seems like a lot of other tests “suffer” from this as well, long gone are the days of casual web browsing, now if I’m not seeing any bugs, I’m thinking about how website’s UI could be improved, how a certain feature could be more user-friendly, etc. I’m ruined! :laughing:

5 Likes

Being a software tester has made me a better person.

• more empathic towards others
  • can speak on topics I’m passionate about (I used to be very shy)
  • developed insight into ways to seek out the bigger picture
  • there’s always room to learn and grow / continuously learning (I thought I was done with school! :blush: )
3 Likes

Finding the world of testing gave a sense of belonging.
I’ve always asked a lot of questions about everything and talked about how something could be done differently, much to everyone’s annoyance.
Now I’m praised for it and the people I work with care about what I say. The change led me to be more confident in general.

I’ve gotten really good and examining cause and effect scenarios. This has helped with so many life decisions.

I’ve gained the ability to simplify complicated things or be able to pick out the specifics that are important to certain people. I learned this when I had to explain issues or workflows to business units that had no technical knowledge whatsoever.

4 Likes

I see the bugs in all system, especial social ones, more clearly. As I’m better in analyzing I also can better see their causes. Sometimes they are deep rabbit holes.

Because of that I’m more calm. I seldom can blame an individual because I most times see a system motivating it to behaves like it does.

Lets change the system and people will behave differently.
You can talk to all participants. Basically all are humans, emphatic beings. (It much depends on how and where you talk to them.)

4 Likes