❤️ What do you love about software testing?

It’s that day of the year!

What do you love about software testing?

Bonus points for creative ideas on how we can show our love.

5 Likes

I particularly love risk analysis & exploratory testing. I find there is no better feeling when identifying an area that could be badly affected by a proposed change which then completely changes how that feature is developed.
Then during exploratory testing I love it when I find a bug that’s hiding off the beaten path.

4 Likes

I love the fact how I can understand the users mindset and what type of product is more suitable specially during UAT I get to interact with the user directly to get good understanding of them. Also, being a QA has improved my soft skills, both my inter and intra personal skillset has enhanced. I understand how I need to interact with the developers or other teams to get the work done. Human psychology has always been interesting for me and being a QA helped me to learn a lot.

3 Likes

The love for systems, not love for coding. Being the guy that knows how everything fits together, knows what the customers want, and that mean guy that finds all the bugs. Exploratory testing and troubleshooting made me skip beer nights on fridays the years around 1990 before going managerial for a couple of decades, now back to where I really get going.

4 Likes

What I have love about software testing is the role it plays in solving business problems and realizing the effects of its outcomes.

5 Likes

Testing absolutely suits my autodidact curiosity. I want to see what happens when I do things. I love that “Oh thats how it works!” discovery. Ive said in interviews “Im a great tester because I am the worst person to leave alone in a room with nothing to do. I will get into trouble” On a visit to a hospital for a routine thing, I was left alone for a time. Thats when I learned that the picture on the wall above the bed was actually a panel, covering a small alcove containing a gas supply for O2 and a set of sterile wrapped masks and other plumbing bits, handy and ready to go. I was left alone. I had nothing to do. So I started poking about…REWARD!

On the Quality side I like taming the chaos, herding the cats, nailing jello to trees. Being involved in the process of marshalling tested software into production. Looking for the gaps in testing. Figuring out the gaps in design and implementation plan. “What will happen when…?”

2 Likes

The diversity of everything came to my mind first. Test people are a more diverse lot (gender, training,… :sunflower: ) compared to your average IT-educated dev folks.

The diversity of challenges. I love that there is no “one model fits all” - although it can be a curse - and you have to figure out what the stakeholder landscape is. Aligning with the business and making something that matters. I know, I am where I can change the landscape as a consultant, others might prefer tinkering with the same thing. :man_shrugging:

I love software testing because I find it both challenging and rewarding. As a software QA, I critique other people’s work, understand the customer’s needs, and implement innovative ideas. I remain up-to-date on the latest industry trends and am always eager to take on new challenges.

1 Like

The community.
How we are all wanting to share and listen to ideas.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing and listening. :smiley:

2 Likes

Reverse Question is “What’s not to love”. As Testers we get to be many people.

In the course of a day we are Analysts, Critiques, Realists, Approvers and not least every flavour of User we can think of.

When Software is delivered, we (should) take the requirements from the Customer and check for Compliance, Usability, Functionality, Portability and a Healthy dose of Common Sense.

So when you are feeling that Testing is getting boring, jump into someone elses shoes and feel the change

3 Likes

The diversity of tasks is what I love about being a software tester. To orchestrate all the stakeholders, the requirements, the testing tasks and to know the whole application and its side parts.

3 Likes

I love exploratory testing when it comes to software testing. Finding the wacky bugs via mistake which are reproductable 1 in 3 times then giving it to the developer to try an fix.

The developer not being able to reproduce it but I can still reproduce it 1 in 3 times being a headache to them :smiley:

Enjoy being able to make the product a better quality for the user

One of the things I love most is finding gaps in functionality/requirements, especially when it’s early in the lifecycle! It can help to avoid so many issues further down the line.

Oh what’s there not to love. Its not just a profession but rather an attitude towards your life’s daily dealings. We may not realize but we’re testing all the time. I like to believe every single task in this world has a testing part to it.

As for software testing, I love the complexness of it, I love the fact that we question the obvious as well as the improbable, I love how a seemingly small behavior leads to bigger discussions.

I love it when I hear “Hey nice find!”
I love it when something I discovered gets turned into a full blown user story.

1 Like