How to test a mobile game?

I am new to mobile game testing field. I am facing some issues regarding how to create specific test cases and the difference b/w application testing and mobile games testing.

1 Like

What issues are you facing? What differences do you feel there are? If you elaborate your question more, you may get useful advice more quickly :slight_smile:

Thank you for replying.

Actually, there is a new startup of game development in company. So they don’t have any reference from which i can understand the basics of game testing. Also, previously i was an application tester as i test web applications only, so i don’t have any knowledge of testing the game. I even don’t know from where i should start creating my test cases for mobile games.

I found when I tried to gather Resources For Games Testing here on the Club that unfortunately many games testers have had to sign non disclosure agreements so they can’t really talk about the work that they did.

Perhaps the book linked in the above reply would be a good place to start to understand the ideas behind testing games?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Nitin,

What kind of applications did you test previously?
Have you tested native mobile applications?
Are the games app-based on web? I’m assuming app.
Can you give an idea of genre of game? Is it social gaming like “Candy Crush”, or interactive AR like “Pokemon Go”, or stand alone like a “Hue”, or like a racing game or something

Sorry for all the questions, but it’ll help tailor advice of where to start.
Nikki

1 Like

Hi nicola,

I have tested web applications having education, e-commerce domains. Yes, i have tested few native mobile applications but not much as i generally test web applications. Games are app based only for now. Game is on the theme of candy crush.

Thanks
Nitin

Hey Nitin,

In that case a lot of your existing knowledge will apply to mobile games testing. Like exploring an application, checking functionality fits together and looking for edge cases. But some things that are different and to look out for are:

1. mobile battery life & performance - games are absolutely notorious for being graphic heavy and battery draining, but there’s a balancing act. Mobile games in particular might use location services or frequent server/notification checks that further drain battery. If the game isn’t fun or engaging enough to warrant extra phone charging or carrying spare battery packs, then it will get uninstalled and bad reviews

2. app store reviews - if this is an existing app then check the store reviews to find existing problems affecting users

3. social integrations - there are multiple ways that social authorisation can be given on mobile devices and they all interact slightly different with other apps - logged in via web browser, logged in via social app or logged in via the device settings itself (may or may not be in sync with the social app)

4. payments - if there are any payments involved then you’ll be looking at testing using sandbox environments for app stores, or perhaps for other payment methods like PayPal or Facebook.

5. game play - it is very helpful to have dev tools that allow you to access certain levels, or repeat specific actions, however there is a fine line between testing scenarios and remembering to actually play the game as a user would. There’s no point proving a level works when you have unlimited time/resources if the constraints placed on the gamer mean the level is unpassable and will result in lost gamers and deleted apps (see criticisms of freemium games like Candy Crush which implemented a once-a-day wheel spin to give gamers the ability to get resources for free that normally have to be paid for and thus remove some of the barriers to play)

6. touch screens - add a dimension of caring about tappable/swipable areas and the physical ability to play the game. Think about your audience and how the gameplay changes for small fingers of children, shaky fingers of the sick or elderly and difference between male/female (ever watch how someone with long nails touches a phone screen?!).

I’ll stop there for the minute as I think that’s enough to get you thinking without overloading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Nicola,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Nitin