Is Test Automation = Regression Testing?

(Jeremias) #1

When I think about test automation, there are only two relevant applications:

• Performance Testing: Checking how the system behaves under load. It is sensible to automate this to be able to generate the load and make this somewhat repeatable.
  • Regression Testing: Because new features can break existing functionality, regression testing is merely to recheck that existing functionality still works as it did at the time of the actual manual testing.

Do you know about any other uses of test automation that does not fit either definition?

Looking forward to your response!

(Jesper) #2

A lot of testing these days happens under the “shift left” paradigme, where the tests are code and build upfront by test engineers etc. using ATDD especially good for API’s and service layers. BDD along with SpecFlow enables the stories to become test automation code nUnit, xUnit etc.

That being said your tool for regression of dynamic system properties sounds interesting. :slight_smile:

(Jeremias) #3

Great answer, I don’t know how I could forget to mention that.

These tests start of as TDD tests. But after the code fulfills the spec (i.e. after they become green), they become regression tests, also. This is probably why I forgot to mention them, although I should have.

Thanks that you think it is interesting. Would you mind checking it out to give more detailed feedback?

(Jeremias) #4

In another thread, Michal Bolton gave some interesting ideas on other activities that you can automate in the broader field of testing, which isn’t testing itself:

Programs for generating data; for modeling business rules and creating a comparable-product oracle; for obfuscating real-life data; for converting and/or massaging test data from one format to another; for visualizing coverage; for setup and configuration (and for checking whether the system is in an appropriately set-up state); for sorting and searching logs; for obtaining more extensive coverage of specific functions, either by randomizing or iterating through all the possible values for a given setting.

(Lada) #5

I would add that TDD alone, or as part of already mentioned ATDD/BDD, contributes to application design, and as such is more interesting to programmers then to test engineers.

(John) #6

I’ve used test automation to generate test data. If your app processes orders, you may want to generate a bunch of orders in different statuses, that you want to do manual or exploratory testing on.

I’ve also used it to see if memory leaks occurs on a particular operation. Actually, after I first suspect memory leak is occurring, I then write an automated test to loop the operation and see if the memory leak occurs on that op.

(Juan) #7

I think there are three of testing scenarios that suits very well with the automation. Performance and regression ones as you point out and also API testing (most of the times).

(Abhishek) #8

My Golden rule is to automate everything which is iterated.

Apart from performance and regression, below are few points that we have achieved:

We have built a new in-house web application replacing old 3rd party app… testing requirement was to test all live customer(almost thousands) are eligible in the new system before roll out. That’s been automated.

Another example would be, health check of mutiple environment. There are different team performing different actions on diff env- (like development in dev env, integration testing in another CIT env, performance in NFT env and many many more)… we can automated with CI with visual dashboard for entire team to verify the status of env’s.

configuring data using API calls, resetting test data to previous state using API calls.

compatibility testing is literally impossible manually in 100 combination of OS, browser and screen size. Automation integrated with various tools like saucelabs or perfecto.

Visual tests are replaced by applitools in my team.

Many many more.

(KomalC) #9

I would like to share a blog I read on Reddit - which will give you a brief overview of test automation flow in the connected world.

(Laurent) #10

Really depends on what software you are testing actually. On my side, regression tests include performance (latency for our business), integration tests (with other applications), and regular features that should not break.
I would probably add integration tests suite that developers should run before releasing to QA :slight_smile:

(Giuseppe) #11

Simple question: Is regression testing=test?
Can you define me/us “your definition of regression testing” ?
What are you evaluating with the regression testing?
Is testing or checking?