Is there a name for testing where no changes are made to a software's database?

Is there a name for the type of testing where no changes are made to the data in the software, no saving, editing etc?

3 Likes

Hmm…for the lack of a better name, can you call it as a ‘read-only test’ ? :slight_smile:

Thats an interesting question. I’ve used terms like: non-destructive, non-invasive,

You’re probably not going to get much better than …

2 Likes

Is there a need to create a category for it? How naming it would be beneficial to the conversation?

2 Likes

Mock testing, maybe?

1 Like

The context is not really clear to me. So I stretch the scope a bit.

The following names spring into my mind:

• role based testing
    “The helpdesk agent(first line support) can only look at the data. Modifications of the data are handled by the second line support.”
  • authorization testing
    “Last week we declined the second line support the authorization to modify the personal data like street and place because of new regulations.”

Thanks for the replies!

To give some context, it is mainly to differentiate between read only tests that can be done on live client websites and data changing tests that could only be tested locally/on UAT.

So far ‘read-only’ seems like a great contender!

I have heard tests that do make changes to the software/database referred to as destructive but to me that usually means purposefully trying to break the software. What would you refer to such tests as?

Thank you for the clarification.

It is possible to use a decision table for the read only test.

The destructive tests are security tests:

• Code injection like SQL injection.
  • Cross Site Scripting. This might lead to executing malicious code, retrieving data, or taking over a session.