Learning buddies in Communities of Practice?

(Abigail) #1

We started a conversation at the TestBash Brighton UnExpo about wanting to teach, learn and share experiences year round rather than just at the conference.

So here we are! And if you interested in learning, teaching or sharing experiences about Communities of Practice? Why not connect here with @nufenix, Stefan and others who are also looking to connect!

The unexpo coming online...learning buddy time!
(Rosie) #2

I keep meaning/wanting to do stuff around this…

Learning buddies in Test Management?
(Lee) #3

They’re great, it’s something I hope all workplaces think about having.

I see it as taking a Meetup and bringing it into the workplace.

(Martin) #4

I am involved in setting up a Testing CoP so would be grateful for any ideas

(Lee) #5

Happy to help :slight_smile:

Are you just in the process of starting one, or have you already got it going and unsure on what steps to do next?

If just setting it up, how many testers are you looking at including in the CoP?
Are you all based together or spread across multiple sites/working remotely?
Are you intending to start off as the sole leader, or have you got a small group to help with the logistics, encourage others, send invites, etc?
Do you know how often you want to meet for, and for how long? For mine we meet once a fortnight for 1 hour, as people can make room in their calendar for it this way.
Have you got a long term goal of what you want the CoP to achieve? Get everyone able to write a test plan, create and run a Selenium suite, present at a Meetup or even TestBash?
Have you got a set of ideals that you want the community to follow? Or a motto? Our is “We Learn, We Share, We Grow”, and always make sure whatever we are doing follows that motto.

As you can see, CoP’s are something I am passionate about and want to support, so I will help you however I can.

If you are able to watch the videos from TestBash Brighton 2018, Emily’s video is a great one to watch, as well as her book being a tremendous guide. We’ve followed it here, and it’s very readable too.

Feel free to ask more questions, as well as sharing how it all goes, as I want to know how it all turns out!!

(Martin) #6

Thanks Lee - its nice to hear from you. We have about 30 testers (20 here at Coventry and 10 in London) - working in a variety of areas agile (including myself), waterfall, automated testing and V&P testing. Basically we have been lumped into a big Engineering CoP but I have been fighting a one-man rearguard to keep some identity for testers by setting up a Testing Community of Interest. At the moment I’m organising most of it myself but am gradually trying to get others involved - we are aming to meet roughly monthly - I do like your motto - I may steal it. I think we are in the same neck of the woods I live in Hinckley and work at Walsgrave. At the moment I just have the free membership - does that entitle me to access the Test Bash videos

(Lee) #7

Unfortunately unless they make it free (they generally make 1 or 2 free per event), you will need a pro membership to watch. On the upside it gives you a discount at future TestBashes so it claws the price back.

I’m based near Binley, so not a far trek. If necessary I’m sure we could arrange me coming over to try and help jump start things, share what we did that did or didn’t work, and give an outsiders perspective.

It is a great motto, but I’m biased as I came up with it :wink:

I’d recommend having the first few sessions more than once a month, as the hype around it might get lost between sessions. If there’s any way you have the first few once a week for a month, it drills into everyone what you’re trying to do.

If you want to discuss things in private, DM me on Twitter as it’s easiest on there for me.