Learning resources for new test leads

Hi all,

We have some new test leads* joining various delivery projects. Their role is primarily to enable and support the testing effort. The testing effort is primarily done by functional experts. The new test leads are new to the testing field but have some project coordination skills. My stake is to build the new test leads :slight_smile:

For various reasons, our projects are mostly traditionally organized, with test plans and test report documents. Test cases are logged in a tool, sometimes excel - usually ADO. So the tasks are mostly around defining and aligning the approach, follow-up on functional experts, and getting the wheels in motion.

The challenge is that I am yet to find a good place for them to start wrt learning resources for new leads. Please help to build this collection within the topics of coaching and (IC) leading testing efforts - and how to get started building the frame for the testing activities.

Here is what I have so far:

There are also some great podcasts that tap into the world of testing for new folks to listen to, here are some of my favorites with that focus (that don’t get too nerdy):

Looking forward to your suggestions :pray: /Jesper

*: Their role is actually “test manager”, as this is an individual contributor role at us. Similar to a project manager. Both roles can come in: junior, advanced, and senior levels.

5 Likes

The AB Testing podcasts has some good episodes for new test leads.

4 Likes

Not strictly testing related but I recommend they read The Secrets of Consulting by Gerry Weinberg and Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson et. al

4 Likes

continuing to build in public:

I think Test Lead means having good soft skills. So, if you want to be a leader, you should inspire and motivate your team. I advise reading a few books about it. “The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You” by Julie Zhuo and “First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently” by Marcus Buckingham.

1 Like