MidsTest 19th March - "Testability is everyone's responsibility" with Ash Winter

We are pleased to announce that the international speaker Ash Winter will be joining us at MidsTest in March, with his talk “Testability is everyone’s responsibility”.

Testability is a first class concern for all disciplines within software development. There, I said it. No hedging, no nebulous phrasing, maybes or it depends.

Too often we labour under systems that are hard to test, manifesting themselves with frantic searches for more testers, lengthy acceptance test runs, fearful testing for regressions with a hopeful release at the end. Worst of all, it usually ends up with a project manager sat on the testers desk asking ‘when will testing be done.’ It’s never done, it can only stop, just so you know.

Throughout my career, often the testability of a system has been deemed to be the testers business. If something was hard to test, then it was the testers problem. However, the causes of low testability effect the activities of all disciplines, whether it be speed of feedback to developers or flow of value generating features for product managers.

I’ll cover:

• How testability is a key advantage in building systems of ever increasing complexity.
  • Why it’s important for developers and operational stakeholders to build inherently testable systems.
  • What testers can do to be catalysts for testability improvements.

The activity of testing is rarely the bottleneck, how testable your system is, that’s your problem. Poor testability cannot be remedied by one discipline alone. It’s for all of us to care about.

If you’re able to get to Birmingham on Wednesday 18th March by 7pm (networking available from 6pm), then sign up at March #MidsTest: "Testability is everyone's responsibility" with Ash Winter, Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 6:00 PM | Meetup

1 Like