Mobile Testing Tools

Hello,

My QA lead has investigated several mobile testing tools to test our mobile web application. Unfortunately, he has not found a tool that can meet the following requirements. If anyone has suggested a tool(s) that will be appreciated.

Our requirements are:
(1) Support different browsers in different mobile devices
(2) Support record/replay for automation testing
(3) Support offline mode to test offline features

There are many tools such as:
Ranorex and Xamarin which cannot support (1). The application under test (AUT) they support is mobile application instead of mobile web application.
Some tools support (1) such as Browserstack and rossBrowserTesting, however, they don’t support record/replay function, the only way to do automation testing is to write scripts.
Some tools such as Ranorex and Xamarin can support offline mode, but others cannot.

Thanks,
Chris

2 Likes

Following is the tool that meets all the requirements specified by you.

Tool name is Sauce labs. It is a cloud-based platform, enabling you to perform automated/manual testing of web and mobile applications. Many companies offer mobile testing services and functional testing services for this tool, due to the convenience it offers to its users. At one single place, user can perform different test simultaneously in parallel at different browsers/devices as required.

It offers more than 500 different browser platform, operating system and device combinations, and thus providing a comprehensive test infrastructure for testing desktop and mobile applications. This tool you can ensure that your web application work across the latest Android and iOS mobile devices, as it provides quick access to emulators, simulators and real devices. You just need to enter your URL, select different devices, operating systems, and browsers and click run. It’s that simple.

We can use Selenium, Appium and JavaScript unit testing frameworks as well to perform automated testing. There is no VM setup or maintenance required. Live breakpoints are accessible while the tests are running, enabling one to interrupt and investigate the problem manually. You can also record your test runs in videos and refer them after the test has completed. You can review the test results and console logs later, to verify the issues if any occurred during test run.

Hope this information is clear and you can get back to us in case need more information.

1 Like

I am currently Investigating Mobile Testing Tools.
I will be potentially work on a mobile project with a tech stack of AWS and React native.
I have started to use some automation tools and device testing options.

In relation to Mobile device farms - AWS and SauceLabs seem to be the dominant players in this space.
Does anyone have experience with either?

On the automation side of things Appium seems to be the dominant cross platform choice when testing both Android and iOS. Calabash seems to be second choice but I believe their support may be discontinued.
Does anyone have experience with Appium or alternatives?

1 Like

Definitely avoid Calabash as they are not going to support higher versions of iOS than 11.

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of device farm hell with AWS right now. It’s working fine for my Android Espresso tests; I can’t get my Swift 4 app to build and run on AWS after 2 months of trying. I used Sauce Labs at my last job and found that while it was difficult to get set up, their support was better, their documentation was better, and it was easier to use.

Appium is very common for Android and iOS, but I’ve found it to be unstable. We got burned when Xcode moved from Automator to XCTest, which broke many of our tests. We also found that support for certain features in Appium just weren’t there. The idea of writing one test for both platforms sounds great, but I’ve never actually seen it work in a clean, stable way in the wild.

For those reasons, we’ve chosen to go with XCTest & Espresso for this project I’m on now. There is some cost with context switching, but I like that there is some separation. It also allows me to package my apps with just the test stuff they need, and not a bunch of other code for a different platform. Plus XCTest and Espresso come with some pretty nice features built-in (such as test execution reporting and code completion on both platforms’ IDEs, automatic screenshots in XCTest when a test fails).

1 Like

Hey Chris,

Would love to hear how you got on here? CrossBrowserTesting now supports Record and Replay :smiley: https://crossbrowsertesting.com/record-and-replay

Hi, I am currently working on a tool called Testim that meets all 3 of your requirements.

Testim is an AI based web automation tool for authoring, execution and maintenance of tests focused on GUI testing and end to end testing. We have an AI underneath the hood which analyzes all the DOM objects in real time and extracts all the object trees and properties. Based on this it creates a list of location strategies. Based on this list it chooses the best way to locate an element. This strategy is called Dynamic locator strategy. This how our AI works. It is the algorithm we implemented. The more tests your run the smarter it becomes to make your tests more stable.

You can check out the below blog posts to know more.
https://blog.testim.io/bringing-simplicity-to-authoring-and-execution-of-automated-tests/
https://blog.testim.io/why-testim/