Moinmoin from … 54.5 °N, 9.0 °E

… as we say in North Frisia (Germany).

I’m in testing since I left physics & oceanography in 2001, and am a self-employed tester since 2004.
I regularly attend & speak at conferences (as long as they’re happening) and have been to a TestBash (in Munich), nearly all Agile Testing Days in Germany.
I left traces in early versions of what has become The Club (I think).

Currently I’m in the making of an ebook with the topic of dealing with the current coronian times: Lockdown, remote work, home schooling … and the lack of eggs in super markets (and what that has to do with testing).

Looking forward to the home edition of TestBash!

Stay safe & healthy — and good luck
Stephan

4 Likes

Welcome @seasidetesting :wave:

What skills do you think you bring from physics and oceanography to testing?

Looking forward to reading your ebook too :grinning:

From physics I brought the empirical approach. Essentially I’m convinced that software testing, like physics, is an experimental science. It’s the comparison of experimental evidence with given expectations — and then using the learnings from that to inform the further steps. See my blog post over at https://seasidetesting.com/2020/04/24/physics-and-testing/.

From oceanography, I brought the learning that there are … systems … that we just can’t study in a ‘laboratory setting’, because they’re just too big. Oceans clearly belong in that category (stars & galaxies too, obviously). The same is true with many of the systems we’re seeing today, whether it’s online shopping sites, streaming services or online search.

Yes, it’s fun putting together and also great talking with people form all over the planet. I believe it’s very unlikely that I would have approached all those folks any time soon without these coronian times.
But since I can’t change the times we’re in, it’s at least possible to talk to people — any maybe help some people with tips contributors share in the book as well as offering some relief by letting readers know that they’re not alone.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s really interesting to hear different peoples experiences and stories.

I particularly like the oceanography analysis. It’s a really nice visual way to explain how testing is never “complete” to someone who may struggle to understand why.