Please suggest Practices that you applied while doing App Testing

Hello All,

I just started App Testing Basically it is a new application so I just want to know some best practices that you applied while doing App Testing

Please share your experience

Thanks in advance

1 Like

“There are good practices in context, but there are no best practices.”

Probably if you explain what type of information you want to investigate, people will be able to share experiences in a more fullfing way.

3 Likes

Hello Dear,

currently I am work on the app testing and I learn lot’s of new things in that…

while doing study, Today I found simple article on practices of iPhone app testing I also share below Hope it will be helpful to you…

Please check here:https://www.testrigtechnologies.com/10-popular-best-practices-for-iphone-app-testing/

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you so much for this suggestion…

Thank you, Priya…It is good

It is very important to put your phone in accessibility mode and see how it reacts. This highlights tab sequences and selections really well.

There are lots of information if you go looking for it which will help you understand how to use the phones in accessibility mode like this from Apple, https://help.apple.com/iphone/10/en.lproj/iph3e2e2281.html

3 Likes

App testing for me needs to move more into the cloud, I have the impression that we are focussing too hard ( at least where I work ) on testing on real at hand devices. It’s cumbersome and hard to maintain. With devices in the cloud you have access to a multitude of devices and versions of Android and IOS where else these are almost impossible to achieve.

Next I organize mob test events where we all gather and test the crap out of the application with a large group of people. Findings ( any finding ) is put on a post-it on the wall and discussed in the group afterwards. Issues with a common agreement are solved immediately, others are moved to the backlog or simply accepted. :slight_smile:

Oh … and don’t forget … when testing an app mimic the behaviour of a user. They are on the road and don’t always have access to 4G/3G/ WIFI , how does your app react when you are going through a tunnel and you lose your signal ?

4 Likes

Kevin I do have to agree, but have so many questions about using 3rd party testing resources and the end experiences. When do you use them, are they better than the emulators, and what are they best for and what class of test are cloud tester systems worst for?

I am more keen to dogfood, since finding 3G/4G and even network routing specific problems sounds impossible if I did go to the cloud entirely. Currently I rely on nightlies with a few devices covering the 2 platforms. I’m also less worried about device performance and form factor because my application is a client and not sensitive to screen sizes for the same reason most mobile apps are.

I struggle most with just knowing how to use 2 phones of completely different types. What have you used to drive up mob testing sessions on mobile @kgysenbergs ?

1 Like

Hi Conrad,

I would say welcome to the club, we meet in Brussels every Friday evening to drink away our sorrows regarding mobile testing :wink:
All jokes set aside let me share you some of my insights:

Finding the right cloud tool to do the job is not easy and depending on budget and security rules it can be a bit of a nightmare. We opted for a private cloud solution with a mix of real physical devices and emulators. The tool we’ve chose is called SeeTest and it allows you to emulate 3G/4G and even loss of packages and switching between Wifi / 3G /4G while testing. But it’s not cheap. The reason I find them better then emulators is that they are real devices with hardware problems from time to time :slight_smile: Performance wise we don’t really have any issues to be honest but it all depends on your setup. We had some hiccups in the beginning but all related to a bad routing setup.
Now the emulators are used by our developers for system and integration testing and the real devices ( but in the cloud ) are used for user acceptance testing.

Mob testing is something I’ve been doing for about 3 years now. And I use 2 approaches here. First one is provide the mob with ready prepped devices. This means we are limited in what we can do because we don’t own a 100 devices ( actually we do but we need to share them with everybody else :smiley:) Second approach is to use the mobs own devices. Because let’s face it today almost everybody has his own smartphone. Big advantage here is that you test both the upgrade / installation of your app on a wide variety of devices. Downside, not everybody in the mob is willing to do this.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit further. Don’t hesitate to contact me for more info if you need so :slight_smile: @conrad.braam

2 Likes

Look forward to Brighton. Mobile is only a small part of my test job. And although we have had 3G/4G related issues, they have been very specific environmental issues. I really love those non predictable ones. But most of the 3G network behavior can be closely mimic’d on wifi if one spends the time with a network bandwidth tool and a linux machine with 2 network adapters I guess. Biggest share of testing is Windows desktop, and mobile is a scary part. See my separate question : Mobile app ads security

1 Like