Protractor is reaching end of life - what are your plans?

Last Month, the Angular team announced they would end development of protractor at the end of 2022.

https://github.com/angular/protractor/issues/5502

Starting with Angular v15, Protractor tests will no longer run.

Does your team have E2E tests in Protractor, and have you considered how you will handle the deprecation?

I’m curious about thoughts on preferred tool to migrate to - seems like Cypress is the clear current frontrunner in terms of number of users, but maybe other frameworks have compelling features as well.

3 Likes

This :slight_smile: :wink:

We moved to Cypress and I’m pretty happy about it also, should have done it before the deprecation also.
Thank god we didn’t have that many UI tests yet :smiley:

4 Likes

I know of a certain large remote desktop product that went the protractor test route for testing. Pretty sure they have hundreds of protractor tests by now… hmmm. I’m going to have to ask around.

3 Likes

I never used Protractor so I won’t shed any tears, but a few people I worked with have used it and most of them are planning on switching to Cypress, as a replacement.

3 Likes

It’s not really a replacement to move to Cypress is it? Because Protractor, as I understood it’s use, talks to the application @bencf1 may recall more of how it was used than I do, or am I wrong here?

1 Like

We’re using Protractor and know we’ll need to move; no final decision so far but Cypress has been mentioned as a possible.

3 Likes

Methinks you’re right, Protractor is based on Selenium beneath the surface and Cypress has it’s own thing going on.

1 Like

Another option that looks promising is Webdriver IO.

2 Likes

I lost touch with progress on protractor when things moved from Angular JS 2.x.to Angular n+.

I remember the earlier versions of Protractor for the modern version of Angular was missing most of the deeper integrations anyway.

They could of brought this back and I would of missed it, because I moved on from testing Angular based websites.

I’ve recently been using Playwright with Jest. It’s excellent and I would recommend it.

2 Likes