Python selenium setup

I need a step by step procedure to setup python selenium in corporate.

This is organization which uses web based application s which can be only access in its private domain only.

I want to create an automation script that will visit all these URL and return me with HTML report it’s health in an email

I have got one new single pc to do so.

Please guide me with steps

Be sure to add as much context as you can to your question, this increases the chances of you getting answers:
why are you asking this?
what have you tried already?

Make sure you have a clear title, this helps people scrolling through the latest page to pick it out quickly if it’s something they could help with.

Don’t forget to add tags too, that also helps people engage easier with your post.

2 Likes

I don’t know Python, but I think if you Google for “the automation panda” you will find some Python/Selenium tutorials.

Andrew Knight made a free course on Test Automation University:

2 Likes

Jenkins (other CI engines are available) job (server on linux), nightly trigger. At that point you can start integrating into other systems easily too. Also, you might be able to get by with Postman for a small answer like “Is this intranet site up and kinda working?” question, since it’s not “functional testing” you want to do? , and then not need to do the whole selenium thing.

I mean if you are wanting the minimum, just calling wget and doing a grep, will tell you if a site is up or down.

1 Like

Thank you for the information and quick response.

My setup is on windows 10
Currently one one WS is alloted using RD
Other systems are still behind firewall and browser version are controlled by organisation

In this scenario , how we can setup python selenium

Please guide

Regards
Namrata

2 Likes

You could use Selenium Grid on that remote machine to run tests there, maybe configure a regular schedule to run them, make them run in headless mode to get a bit faster execution times if you got a lot of tests.

Here’s an article that can give you some pointers if you decide to go in that direction:

Does the “checking” machine have to be domain joined ?

• Does it need to be on a domain to be able to see the intranet? Note this creates a SXS attack vector in your network, so you need to secure the machine well.
  • Does it need to be on domain to be able to send emails?
  • Will you want to publish actual reports, and have debug logs? You probably want to publish basic reports later, and then suddenly running a webserver becomes a thing you may want to do.

A Windows workstation is not the most reliable, performant and “green” solution is all I’m saying. It might/will be easier on Windows initially, but also be more prone to rotting after a year or two. Where I am, we have an “uptime” job that triggers every 10 minutes does a small batch of checks and emails support. With no actual “report”. It runs in Jenkins, which makes it easy to update the “checking” machine, and also easy to update the test program itself. I must say, its also very easy to overthink things, for example the need to check every 10 minutes causes a lot of “noise”. Noise from intermittent failing, is a very big thing to consider regardless of how you build your watchdog.

The recommended course for Python and Selenium was released in 2020. So the instructions in the course should cover the setup on Windows 10 PCs.

It looks like that you work in a company with high security level. In this case you need the following:

• a supporting manager. This person is needed for all the approvals.
  • a developer account. This way you have more authorizations to do things on your PC.
  • all tools and software for the test must be on the list of approved applications. This can be difficult, because the latest versions are not always permitted. Dependencies can become a problem.
  • special authorizations for firewalls. This is only needed, if the system under test is not in the same subnetwork as your PC. A system administrators should be able to give you proper instructions how to handle this.
2 Likes