QA Engineer/Software Testing Learning Path for First Job

Is this a good plan to increase my odds at starting a new career as a Software Tester in July 2024? Anything I should tweak to make this better? Should I take things out or add something. Is this enough time for each topic area? My background is: 8 years as a telecommunications engineer (satellite, cisco networking, traditional telephone switch, ISDN/ADSL/ATM), 4 years as IA/Cybersecurity IT manager, 8 years years as IT Program Manager/Project Manager.

• #0: Manual Testing, Fundamentals (4 weeks)
    • Udemy course Complete Software Testing bootcamp
  • #1: Github (2 weeks) Udemy Course
  • #2: Docker & Kubernetes (2 weeks) Udemy Course
  • #3: Python (4 weeks) Udemy Course, 2x Projects, publish to Portfolio
    • Optional: obtain entry-level Python cert
  • #4: Jira (2 weeks)
    • Udemy Course, 2x Projects
  • #5: SQL…(4 weeks)
    • Udemy Course (SQL for begin), 2x Projects
  • #6: Selenium (4 weeks)
    • Udemy Course, 2x Projects
  • #7: Linux (8 weeks)
    • Udemy Course
    • Optional: obtain entry-level Linux cert
  • #8: Do testing challenges (4 weeks)
      • 10x
  • #9: Perform QA Testing with documentation on open source projects (16 weeks)
      • 5x
1 Like

I admire you take initiative and making a plan.

I would do BBST foundations as well and move # 8 and 9 earlier. (After or before #1).

I assume you want to be appealing as an employee ASAP and not necessarily have to finish all this? If so, also move kubernetes to the end

Edit: I would also skip Linux and replace that with learning API testing and/or cypress or playwright

3 Likes

Thanks a million for the feedback. I have a steady good paying job right now so I have 1.5 years to learn and practice as much as possible before I start doing interviews. Based on @deament feedback, I have reworked my plan. I was planning on finishing all of this in 1.5 years before applying/interviews? Should I start applying at an earlier step?

#0: Manual Testing, Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Udemy course “Complete Software Testing bootcamp”
#1: Github (2 weeks)
- Udemy Course
#2: Complete BBST Foundations Course/Cert (4 weeks)
#3: Do testing challenges (4 weeks)
- 10x
#4: Perform QA Testing with documentation on open source projects (16 weeks)
- 5x
#5: Python (4 weeks)
- Udemy Course, 2x Projects, publish to Portfolio
- Optional: obtain entry-level Python cert
#6: Jira (2 weeks)
- Udemy Course
- 2x Projects
#6: SQL…(4 weeks)
- Udemy Course (SQL for beginners)
- 2x Projects
#7: Selenium (4 weeks)
- Udemy Course
- 2x Projects
#8: API Testing (4 weeks)
- Udemy Course
- 2x Projects (Open API)
#9: Docker & Kubernetes (2 weeks)
- Udemy Course

2 Likes

Testing can be of two types such as functional testing and automation testing.
Weather it may any website testing, Salesforce lwc testing or any other app, you need to have a basic knowledge of testing to work in this field.
To be an entry level tester you should learn both automation and manual testing.
As the names suggest, manual testing includes processes where you test and report findings manually and on the other hand,
automation testing includes creating a code which will automatically run and check the application if it works in the intended way.

You have a good plan and you have already mentioned all the basic topics you need for entry level job.
I suggest after you cover Manual Testing Fundamentals, python+selenium+allure reporting tool(POM framework) you should start applying for jobs,
because this much knowledge is enough to get you started for any small project, and the rest you can continue with your ongoing job.
Good Luck

1 Like