Quality Gate Workshops?

Hi there!

I was thinking of hosting some sort of Quality Gate workshop. I’m wondering if you have any suggestions or ideas for me! :slight_smile:

I want it to be non-technical. So more of a pen & paper workshop, not that we have to code in gates etc …

Kind regards
Kristof

1 Like

Hey @kristof,

Nice one!

Have you got some learning outcomes in mind? I reckon that’s a good starting point.

Is @sarah1’s helpful set of five learning outcome guides on your radar?

1 Like

I didn’t want to spoil it to much yet, so all possible answers weren’t biased by my info :smiley:
But he’s my idea on the workshop and the learnings.

I want people to share their experience and learn from each other that you can have quality gates on many different levels.

I’m probably going to present them a ‘fake-company’ with a specific workflow and they’ll have to build gates. But like they can only build 2 gates, they’ll have to explain which and why etc…

I’ll add some more features to the pipeline and then they can build another 2 gates (or remove the previous 2 and add them elsewhere)

I basically want to provoke an interactive conversation between the people explaining why their choice of gate is more meaningful at the time compared to somebody else.
By changing the way of working of the fake-company and the pipeline I want them to re-think their strategy and see if they remove old gates if they are no longer effective or not.

Sounds really interesting!

But I’m not sure I understand what does a “gate” mean in your context. To me this wording kinda gives an impression of a tester serving as a gatekeeper of quality, yelling “you shall not pass!”
Can you please explain how the rest of the team fits into this concept of quality gates?

A quality gate can be something like: If the API tests fail in the pipeline, you cannot deploy to the next environment. But it can just as much be a unit test or something in the analysis phase.

This is sort-of correct, only not just a tester but it can be anything in a process. It can be an automatic process yelling “you shall not pass!” the common misconception is that testers are gatekeepers but in fact the whole team is.

1 Like