Questions for OpsBoss

Hi everyone I’m Mark and I’m the OpsBoss at Ministry of Testing.

My main focus for Ministry of Testing is the day to day running of everything Ministry of Testing. I help support the team to improve the processes around creating the various Events, Content, Marketing, etc. opportunities MoT offers for the testing community. I’m also working on getting MoT into a space where we can experiment with new ideas and features that will help you learn and connect better.

Part of that experimentation means improving how we communicate what we’re up to the Testing community and get feedback from you. So in that spirit, I’ve started doing daily Rackets (short 9-minute podcasts) to share what I’m up to and what I’m thinking about at the time:

In addition to sharing my thoughts I’d love the opportunity to answer questions you might have about how MoT works, our plans for the future and any other things you would like to find out.

With that in mind, I’ve created this thread where you can leave questions that I will answer through Racket to share with the wider testing community. So what do you want to know?

4 Likes

Is is possible to get a mini-podcast episode with tips for new community meetup organizers?

3 Likes

That is a great idea, @mirza! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I find the racket idea super awesome (I never heard of it before). Nice find on the “mark winteringham” bug by the way! (I am already listening too your rackets :wink: )

Some questions/idea’s:

• What’s your point of view on the future of testing?
  • How is testing growing and what do you “NEED” to know to “be” a tester, let’s say over 5-10 years?
  • Is there going to be a thing where people are like real ‘Bug hunters’ - just hired to find bugs on the front-end & back-end, technical & non-technical? Or is it always going to be automation, manual regression & performance (in most cases)
    My question is coming from: The ‘average’ testers are just executing regressions and automation regression tasks but rarely think ‘outside the box’ to force errors & really break applications.
  • How far should we go to test/find Edge cases?
  • How are companies their views on testing?

The getting to know @mwinteringham questions:

• How did you get into testing?
  • Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
  • What would you have done different in your testing life cycle :smiley: ?
  • What would you have liked to know before you started in testing?
2 Likes

How to start your first

• day
  • week
  • month

in new testing roles (First time tester, when you get promotion or when you change from company to another)

• things to avoid
  • things to recommend

and different productivity hacks that could help you grow in your career.

Many topics could be generated, like career path for testers and different directions.

2 Likes

These are good points, sometimes for those of us who have been in testing for a while, we tend to forget that starting a career can be scary and the imposter syndrome kicks in for many newbies. It’s quite thoughtful to think about beginners, since we were al there once!

1 Like

Exactly @mirza , I will make a change soon after 4 years so I’m facing this imposter syndrome :stuck_out_tongue: that’s why I recommended this topic :smiley:

1 Like

another point here, when you change from field to another which is completely different.

1 Like

Hi @emna_ayadi

A lot to unpack from your question, but I tried to answer is as best as I could on today’s racket:

2 Likes

@mwinteringham are there any plans on updating the structure of MoT meetups now that all meetups have become a hybrid version with international speakers.

I feel this has completely changed the perspective of meetups (at least the recent ones I’ve been to)

3 Likes

Ohhh @jaswanth I might have to get Richard on for a Racket to discuss that as there is a lot to share around your question.

@kristof another great question from you that I’ve answered around how I got into Testing.

3 Likes

Another question which I’m really curious about:

What’s the origin of Ministry of Testing? How did it came to be, what was the drive behind it? And why did you decide to join it to become OpsBoss?

Perfect opportunity to do another collab between @mwinteringham & @friendlytester ? :wink:

#TimeForSomeHistoryLessons

2 Likes

Great questions and some that most testers encounter but forget about once you get into the day to day of the role.

1 Like

You can actually find out a lot about Ministry of Testing on our About Us page, but I can share a bit more about my motivations for moving to an Ops role.

In the meantime, @kristof got another reply to one of your questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes