Recommendations for books to read

Hello,

Iā€™m looking for some good recommendations for books to read which are of a technical genre

1. I have read Jerry Weinbergs Books
  2. James Bachā€™s
  3. Elizabeth Hendrickson
  4. James Whittaker
  5. Kristin Jackvony
  6. Lena Pejgan Wilberg

Can someone please recommend books that I could read except these, please?

I have considered Markā€™s new book on APIs and Nicola Lingdrens books

Any other recommendations, please?

3 Likes

Have you read the Agile testing by Lisa Crispin and Jannet Gregory?

3 Likes

yes I have read agile testing condensed by them.

2 Likes

The boosk you read are about ā€˜testingā€™ are you interested in reading about ā€˜qualityā€™? If so then I would recommend reading W Edwards Demingā€™s books: Out of the crisis and the New Economics. I would also suggest skimming one of Juranā€™s Quality Control Handbooks

3 Likes

Are the following on your radar?

9 Likes

Thank you Simon I will add them to my list and will start reading.

3 Likes

Sure will consider them

1 Like

I also see Daniel Knott released a second edition of Hands-On Mobile App Testing.

4 Likes

Exploratory Testing by maaret on leanpub is good.
Recommend the testability book that @simon_tomes mentioned.

5 Likes

Have you tried the phoenix project and the unicorn project? Not directly testing related, but Iā€™d recommend it as a must read.

4 Likes

I just have to say, thatā€™s a pretty good starting list (at least the first 4, Iā€™m not familiar with 5 and 6).

Harry Collins is another author Iā€™ve heard recommended quite a bit but havenā€™t gotten to yet myself (Iā€™ll be starting with ā€œArtifictional Intelligenceā€).

The same goes for Daniel Kahneman (e.g. ā€œThinking Fast and Slowā€).

Iā€™m inclined to recommend ā€œThe Black Swanā€ by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, though I found it a little frustrating myself because he repeats a lot of the same points throughout and then also boasts of not having an editorā€“I think the points could have been made in a book 1/4 the length :roll_eyes:. Still, the points that are made will change the way you think about risk.

Lastly, I found ā€œThe Great Post Office Scandalā€ by Nick Wallis an eye-opening read in terms of the human impact of putting blind trust in software systems.

Note that none of these are strictly about testing but they are certainly related to cultivating a testing mindset.

5 Likes

Iā€™d second @c32hedge 's endorsement of The Great Post Office Scandal; OTOH, I had problems with Daniel Kahnemanā€™s Thinking, Fast and Slow, though I appear to be in a minority.

Iā€™d suggest that you need to have some reading for relaxation, but choosing that carefully will help in your professional aims in terms of both expanding your soft skillset and, more generally, improving your own command of written language.

My reviews of the two named books are here:
The Great Post Office Scandal; the fight to expose a multimillion pound IT disaster which put innocent people in jail by Nick Wallis | Deep Waters Reading (wordpress.com)
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman | Deep Waters Reading (wordpress.com)

And I wrote a blog post a while back on leisure reading for testers which might amuse:
Reading for the curious ā€“ Probe probare ā€“ to properly test (wordpress.com)

4 Likes

or in the ebook version at leanpub: Hands-On Mobile Appā€¦ by Daniel Knott [Leanpub PDF/iPad/Kindle]

4 Likes

Thank you so much I shall read The Post Office Scandal

2 Likes

Sure will read them. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Thanksā€“I meant Daniel Kahneman, not Daniel Pink.

Speaking of reading for relaxation, Iā€™ve felt for a long time that the ostensibly-childrens-fiction book ā€œThe Phantom Tollboothā€ by Norton Juster is a great book for cultivating a testing mindset. Hereā€™s one of my favorite nuggets:

ā€œThatā€™s absurd,ā€ objected Milo, whose head was spinning from all the numbers and questions.
ā€œThat may be true,ā€ [the Dodecahedron] acknowledged, ā€œbut itā€™s completely accurate, and as long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong? If you want sense, youā€™ll have to make it yourself.ā€
ā€œAll three roads arrive at the same place at the same time,ā€ interrupted Tock, who had patiently been doing the first problem.
ā€œCorrect!ā€ shouted the Dodecahedron. ā€œAnd Iā€™ll take you there myself. Now you can see how important problems are. If you hadnā€™t done this one properly, you might have gone the wrong way.ā€
ā€¦
ā€œBut if all the roads arrive at the same place at the same time, then arenā€™t they all the right way?ā€ asked Milo.
ā€œCertainly not!ā€ he shouted, glaring from his most upset face. ā€œTheyā€™re all the wrong way. Just because you have a choice, it doesnā€™t mean that any of them has to be right.ā€

5 Likes

A Practitionerā€™s Guide to Software Test Design by Lee Copeland definitely worth reading

3 Likes

I just read Joseph Juranā€™s autobiography and found it very interesting. I wrote a review of it: A review of Dr Joseph Juranā€™s autobiography: ā€œArchitect of Qualityā€ ā€“ TestAndAnalysis

2 Likes