What was the last book you read?

What was the last testing or non-testing book you read?

I’m currently reading People Powered by Jono Bacon and Cruel Acts by Jane Casey. Quite different books in their genres but both very interesting :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The last self-help book I read was Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin (and a I think a few others contributed). It really hammers home the meaning of you work to live, not live to work.

My current fiction read is It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover!

I don’t really read testing books anymore :pensive: if anyone has any to recommend, please do let me know! I’ve read the popular ones - Lessons Learned in Software Testing, and Agile Testing

2 Likes

Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work… by Jeff Sutherland. Picked it up in a charity shop as it was only £1 and figured might be interesting to see how Jeff has adapted Scrumming for the wider world. It repeats what we, in software, already know, about scope, waste and iterative delivery but it’s refreshing to be reminded of this from time to time.

(As a recommendation for Quality (not testing) I’d suggest Leading Quality by Ronald Cummings-John and Owais Peer)

3 Likes

I have many books on the go…it is a bit of a problem.

But, the worky ones that I am currently invested in are:

• The Drive-Thru is NOT always faster by @mikelyles
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The DevOps Handbook
  • We need to talk about Scrum: How Scrum is Ruining Software Development

I am also reading:

• Arsène Wenger’s autobiography
  • Dave Gorman: If life’s a game…let’s play
  • The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred Year Old Man

Send help!!

2 Likes

I just completed “You Can Die Laughing” by Erle Stanley Gardner (writing as AA Fair). It’s a murder mystery where I look for bugs, that is, clues to who done it.

@froberts If you haven’t read it already, I recommend Thinking Fast and Slow. I found it enlightening on the impact of bias on thinking. I’ve been planning to give it another read myself.

Joe

3 Likes

Last book I actually finished was “Leading Quality” by Ronald Cummings-John and Owais Peer

but like @christovskia, i have lots of books in a part read state:

• DevOps Handbook
  • Compassionate Leadership
  • The Managers Path
  • Managing the Test People
4 Likes

I just finished reading the Culture Code. I’m currently reading Algorithms to Live By.

2 Likes

Deep work by cal Newport
Brene brown - dare to lead
Sprint how to solve big problems and solve new ideas in just 5 days ( mid way through this one)

3 Likes

:books: 97 Things Every SRE Should Know
Quick read and not too technical, lots of wisdom applicable to any software professional. Recommended.

1 Like

Ooh nice! My husband is currently reading digital minimalism by cal Newport

2 Likes

Minimalism and tech :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: my two favourite things! Awesome - going to have a read :smiley::smiley::crazy_face::ok_hand:

1 Like

Last work related book, was Building successful communities of practice, to get some good words to explain why communtities are great.

Last non work book being a bit of sci-fi. Vulkan lives from the Horusy series(aka Horus Heresy)

3 Likes

An interesting read for me was Turn the ship around!

3 Likes

That looks like a really good read. On my list!

Extreme Programming: Pocket Guide, by chromatic

Very nice summary of true agilism.

1 Like

Very happy to stumble upon this thread just now, because I have an empty afternoon and was thinking what I could fill it with. I’ve got a bunch of (semi) test-related books that I’ve been wanting to get started on so I think I’ve got my afternoon sorted!

Now for the dilemma, should I get started on Thinking Fast & Slow, go for something lighter with Made to stick of revisit some of the basics and go for Agile Testing?

Non-testing books: I’ve just finished re-reading all of the Song of Ice and Fire books, I’m still working on House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and I’m halfway through Frankenstein. I also got a book on the history of the Dutch language for St Nicholas so I’m gonna get started on that this weekend.

3 Likes

I keep wanting to re-read the song of ice and fire books but it takes me so long to read a book at the mo, that it would prob take me the next five years to get through them. Finished them all before we had kids…

2 Likes

The last good book I read was The Confession by Jessie Burton and would very much recommend.

I just finished the 3 Killing Eve book which was extremely terrible, don’t read that.

1 Like

I’ve devoured the energy bus by Jon Gordon. Positive energy breeds positive energy!!! All sounds a bit cheesy, but it’s so true.

1 Like