Share who has taught you how to get the most out of a tool – 30 Days of Tools, Day 20

It’s Day 20 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. Time to reflect on the people in your life who have helped you get the most out of a tool.

Share who has taught you how to get the most out of a tool

• Send a thank you message to someone who helped you learn about a tool
  • What did they do to help? What was their approach to teaching you?
  • Who might you teach? Who are you teaching right now? How have you set things up for a good learning environment?

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October. Visit the 30 Days of Tools page and select the “Subscribe to Topic” button to receive each daily challenge direct to your inbox.

:point_right: Have you seen the amazing schedule and registered for Test.bash();?

It’s on October 28th, 10am-10pm UK time. Available with a Pro Subscription or you can purchase a ticket.

3 Likes

Gáspár Nagy and the Ministry of Testing.
Back in 2019, I attended London Tester Gathering Workshops which had been organised by the MInistry of Testing. It included a workshop on how to use Specflow which I took part in. It provided that base knowledge of how to develop automated tests using Specflow, and was so useful for my career.

Here is a blog post I wrote about the workshop:

I now have enough confidence with Specflow to run my own 99 minute workshop. Some can find these sort of technical workshops very intimidating, so I’ve wanted to setup the workshop so even complete programming novices can get something out of it. This workshop is about maintaining and fixing existing tests, which I believe is a great way to get started in test automation development. Instead of asking those attending to write tests from scratch, they will be presented with a selection of failing tests which only require small changes to fix. It can help build confidence and lead to creating more advanced tests from scratch.

2 Likes

I’d like to say thanks to Andrejs Doronins and Bas Dijkstra for teaching me a lot tips & tricks about Rest-Assured, and a lot about improving my API testing in general.

By providing practical examples that you can follow along and apply on your own project, I don’t learn well by just studying the dry theory.

I’ve been tutoring a few people for entry-level tester jobs, I friend and I are working on organizing a workshop locally where junior people would get hands-on training, but we’re still figuring out the logistics.

3 Likes

I would like to thank Raghav Pal at Youtube, his video’s got me to learn some extra frameworks/tools!

Make awesome youtube video’s explaining everything as clear as possible with nice examples.

The people at my clients/our company. I googled even more information about the topics and made my own training material and set up our own test application.

2 Likes

We gave a shout out to some people on the live stream. But for me Alan Richardson aka eviltester, his blogs and videos really got me into the testing tool mindset:

3 Likes

Thanks for the shout out Mark and for the memories of Selenium Conf Richard.

3 Likes

Yo John, thanks for showing be the ropes of using Geb and Spock. It has been a pleasure working with you the past two years and growing as an SDET.

John was great at asking questions to get me to think of the right answer, or pointing me towards where documentation could answer my question.

I am currently mentoring a new jr. SDET as well as the QA Analyst on my team in both the testing and automated testing activities. I am trying to approach it like other mentors in the past have for me. The environment is the best it could be given remote working.

2 Likes