Software Quality Metrics for Project Delivery - A Survey

Hi, Ministry of Testing community! It’s Oleksandr :smiley:

I am researching software quality metrics right now and how they affect project delivery.
As a part of my research study, I want to know which software quality metrics you are using. So, I am kindly asking you to fill out this anonymous survey.

The survey is not only for testers. Do not hesitate to fill out if you are a lead, manager, or developer. All responses are much appreciated!

3 Likes

In the survey, my response was:

I strongly advocate against the use of metrics in software testing because none of them are statistically valid, primarily because of non-fungibility, i.e. one bug is not the same as another in any respect, one test case is not the same as another in any respect, etc…

Most metrics such as defect density are idiotic. I would discipline anyone I caught using these metrics and I would fire anyone caught using second-order metrics like defect escape ratio, which is one meaningless number divided by another meaningless number. I recommend you do two things:

1. Read everything that James Bach and Michael Bolton have written about metrics, and follow their advice.
  2. Read Capers Jones’ books on metrics. I had best not publicly repeat my private comments other than to say I have literally burst out laughing at some of his work, which I doubt was his intention.
1 Like

Done hope it helps you.It made me think a lot and go back and talk to my team.Thanks for this

Completed. I found it unnecessarily hard to respond as I believe no metric would drive Software Quality. And I needed Other for all questions.

Nice one, @al8xr.

I’m super curious to hear about the outcomes and analysis. I hope you get lots of responses.