Testing and notes/Evidence etc

You’re [quote=“monsieurfrench, post:9, topic:73475”]
trying to gauge how many people are required to do this in their place of work
[/quote]

In my experience, people / committees making processes which require screenshots / videos sometimes imagine this need. If you have the chance to look at the decision to include the need, you might dig into what the recordings might be used for, who might be using them, and whether the expected benefit is worth the practical cost.

In one medical device org, Audit (when asked) were clear that they only required such records when seeking to know that a known problem had been fixed, and the fix checked. The process owners wanted most checks like that to be automated – and with that clarity, the long-term need to make and store detailed + searchable notes basically went away.

The testers, however, used more detailed (and more temporary) records to illustrate what they’d found, when sharing within the team. The benefit they saw was that spreading that out shared skills, and bought greater expertise to bear on that path through the system. I imagine that it also made the team more resilient to departures. Looking at the rest of this thread, it’s worth noting that their target didn’t have much of a screen-based UI, and that their exploration was typically around changing setup and simulated environmental inputs, and measuring outcomes and some internals.

In a regulator, I saw testing notes (made in Word / Notepad / markdown / knotted string) attached to whatever represented the act of doing work. The org used Jira and ADO and wiki and OneNote and auditable doc storage – and I saw notes kept in all those places (relying on fragile links). Each approach suited (and was made by) its small, typically isolated group of testers. When (rarely) people outside these teams asked for older or more-detailed records, those outsiders wanted, in effect, magic recall. From an organisational point of view, those notes were unfindable, unsearchable and unknown.

If / when I teach this stuff, I ask people to think of purpose by framing for their audience (us / people who know us / people who don’t know us) and timescales (right now / at a foreseeable juncture / later than we imagine). And, in terms of what to record, there’s the last few paragraphs of What to Record. Which were written in a fever dream half a life ago, and so demonstrate that one’s notes, written for you for right now, may still be useful to someone you’ve not met, who lives in some unimaginable future.

4 Likes