Web sites and Web hosting

Don’t know if this is the right place to ask this but what do People know or suggest for websites and Web hosting in terms of creating a profile online other than linked in.
How much are these sites tested.
How would you test such sites

The premise of this is a question that a few testers are debating and its got a tad overrun and I wanted to check if people had the same views and opinions.

I have left it vague so as not to influence people’s responses.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the question correctly, could you elaborate it a little bit?

1 Like

Sorry i wasn’t clear.
As people create online profiles, what do people think of professionals creating Web sites showcasing their work be it code, cv, etc?

2 Likes

Maybe you can read this to get ideas, although the question was more for blogging: Starting a blog - platform recommendations?

5 Likes

Thanks @pwong for that link!

Gah, Philip Beat me to it.

Mike, you can probably find bio links in some peoples profiles here and snoop about from there too. Have you looked at using github “pages” for free hosting of content?

3 Likes

Well, I got a small portfolio of mine (it needs some long overdue content updates) own and it hardly needs any serious testing - it’s just a single pare react app with static content, I just glance over it after deploying some changes.

How much to test a portfolio site would depend on what is going on, if you have an email contact form you might want to make sure that emails really can get sent, check if the images are displaying properly, add some analytics to see which devices and browsers are mostly used by your visitors so you can determine what to test in that regard, etc.

Edit: in case you need help, or get stuck at any point, just let me know, I used to work with WordPress a while back and I don’t charge a consultancy fee for friends. :grin:

2 Likes

Github pages is good for getting an online space. Lots of options to tailor for what you need Big benefit is that it’s a repo in your Github account.

If you’re looking to deploy some of your work Heroku might be a good a option. I’ve deployed a Java script site to it before. Has free and paid tiers.

3 Likes

There used to be a thing where you could use dyndns or some thing and point a domain at your home IP address and then punch a hole through (or NAT port 80 to use correct language) to publish your own website. For example on a SBC like a raspberry pi? Anyone recall other ways of doing the dns magic that worked or works for them? I know it’s against the T’s&C’s but keen to know who has gotten it working well?

2 Likes

Not that is a very interesting question… I’m also interested in this… But is it secure though? Unless you are using a VPN to tunnel into your home PC?

1 Like

I just used Google sites as it suited me as a gsuite user. But Wix is the goto for just putting a few details.

Or you can just forward to linkedin.

GitHub pages is great if you have time and technical skills.

Just my two cents: if you’re making a static site, or single-page app (with React, Angular, Vue, etc) you can host the code for your site on Firebase and Netlify for free. Got got good docs and nice CLIs.

Well, the PC at home is behind a router, my router, unless it’s already being configured using the nice new firewall protocols, it will not actually have many holes in it. I will want to check, a few online checkers do exist. I’m building a kind of IOT thingy, so it possibly deserves a separate question really. Right now I’m connecting using a completely inappropriate secure-relaying non-vpn solution. Which is not terribly “open”.

I made a new thread instead @mike_123 : IOT thingy type home hosting