What Are Cypress' Strengths For Your Use Cases?

In our Slack Ask Me Anything with @marie.drake and Filip Hric, I asked:

I was wondering what do you particularly love about Cypress? What are its strengths for your use cases?

@rightsaidjames replied with

For me, it’s the ridiculously simple set up - to get it running locally I can just do npm install cypress --save-dev then copy across my template with a basic config file, tsconfig file (for code completion) and some useful utility functions, then npx cypress open and start writing some tests!

Marie added

I have to agree with @RightSaidJames You can get started pretty much as long as you have Node installed. I am a visual person so I like their Cypress Test Runner because it means any changes I do with my code, I can see my tests being run automatically and debug it easily. I also find that I get more buy-in from developers to help out with test automation with using Cypress and the more help I get, the more time I get to spend doing other testing activities

Filip also responded with

Definitely agree with @RightSaidJames here. I started with testing just ~4 years ago in a ridiculously fast moving startup. It was something like: you’ll be the tester, make sure nothing breaks :joy:

didn’t take too long to realize that some kind of automation has to take place, otherwise I’ll lose my mind and rest of the product team too.

I was trying to play with Selenium IDE which was nice, but honestly, if you have no programming experience whatsoever, you don’t know what to do with that.

Just as a coincidence, Cypress came along (I used it since beta 0.18.0 I think) and it was super easy. To open a page it was just cy.visit() command. To get a selector, it was just cy.get() command. It just worked and I was super happy, because I was learning new stuff. It really boiled down to a great documentation, and great examples. I still think their documentation is an absolute gold mine for automation newbies like me.

after those years, it opened me the doors to learning more and with more confidence I’m learning more JS as well as other testing frameworks.

What about you? What do you love about Cypress?

1 Like

I like that Cypress is challenging Selenium.
It is not that useful of a tool for my context though due to different reasons: political, consistency, history, time/resources, unable to handle some things, costs, etc…

Some of the highlights for me:

• The Documentation was great
  • The install was a breeze to get everything setup and running (as opposed having to take the extra steps to chrome driver configured, installed on path, and kept up to date.
  • With cypress packaging everything together spinning up a CI pipeline was also very straight forward, I didn’t have to custom build a docker container, just run a few commands.
  • Front end developers at our company have adopted it
  • I appreciate that both Mocha and Chai integrated into the framework to make it easy to follow the examples to structure your tests and built out assertions.
  • The tool is strongly opinionated which can be very helpful for new testers learning to code.

Keeping everything positive since that is the context of the post (strengths). :slight_smile:

2 Likes