What are the beautiful bugs that just make you smile?

@rightsaidjames via @gemma.hill1987 shared an absolute beauty of a bug!

Originally sent in 🏃 Random
rightsaidjames

This is my favourite category of bug - the root cause is obvious in hindsight, but it’s so niche and esoteric that no automation would have caught it, and you can’t really pin the blame on any specific team or process failure!

Credit to Gem for spotting this tweet originally!

simon_tomes

That's a beautiful bug! :heart_eyes:

What bugs have you discovered or heard about that just make you smile? :smile: Feel free to add them to this thread.

5 Likes

Keeping to the subject of alert messages, in 2014 someone testing the BBC News app once sent this message to real users:

More recently, the phrase ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ appeared on the BBC News Channel’s rolling news ticker:

2 Likes

Last year here in Belgium we saw this:

It translates to “High Prices, Low Quality”

– Small mistake from the marketing team :slight_smile:

3 Likes

even i could understand that one, ouch!

Sign-up for my covid booster:

Not exactly a bug, but I find the validation message funny.
(the date format is OK, it’s just the English UI of a German-writing government)

mixed languages

There are 3 different languages in this screenshot. “Versandinformationen”, “Bearbeitung”,“Lieferadresse” and “Rechnungsadresse” are German, but “Standaard 2-3 werkdagen” is Dutch.

I once found a bug where the delete button disappeared after deleting an item.

Oh yeah. :smile:

I also thought, well maybe that’s the Unix epoch but that’s 1970. So maybe there was another thing called “COVID-19” back in 1965 and we just missed that one. :grimacing:

1 Like

A very classical one: I did not buy this thing because the “Checkout” button did not work.

My all time favourite has been a confirmation message to a process that would move data from one system to another. The theory was that it would go through the “are you sure, are you really sure” style of questioning as there was no return other than a system restore and the first confirmation message gave a standard “Click Yes to continue” with Yes and No options, the second was along the lines of “Continuing will transfer your data. There is no reversal option. Are you sure you wish to continue?” with just a “Yes” button. No going back!

Same dev used a weird method to generate an identification code for records - the code was supposed to use the first x characters of the name plus y digits on record creation with digits incrementing within the char values e.g. ABC001, ABC002 etc. Turned out that the dev hit the record twice - created it by inserting the record hardcoded with a specific value for the code (e.g. ABC777), then they updated the record to give the correct code. Worked fine for a few years until a customer hit the point where they already had a record with ABC777! Not something that could be picked up by a tester, but something that a code review should have spotted.

1 Like

My guess is that they copied the error message from a date of birth field and failed to consider if it was really suitable for this context!