What do people do as part of the Ministry of Testing community?

Recent feedback suggests it would be handy to solidify an epic list of things people can do as a member of the Ministry of Testing community. These are things that would help them feel a sense of belonging (in some shape or form).

Such an epic list would spark ideas as to what’s possible, so community members can figure out what sort of activities/participation appeals to them.

Some examples:

• Like a post on The Club
  • Tweet about a Ministry of Testing article
  • Send someone a direct message on the MoT Slack to say thanks for something they said
  • Watch a TestBash talk
  • Attend a MoT meetup

I’ll stop there as the list is mahoosive. I’m super curious about what’s on your radar.

What else should we add to this list?

2 Likes

Is the intent here to help people who want to “be more involved” ?
By providing a range of things, of different sizes? I use the word size loosely.

e.g. Read and like posts, is a “smaller” task than, making a post, or replying to one.

2 Likes

A few things that come to mind:

• Ask a question at a meetup or an AMA.

• Share info about an MoT event with your local community

• Preach to people about how interesting are the testing discussion at the Club

4 Likes

Absolutely. And hopefully, the output is something people can look at and make a judgement about what “involvement” looks like to them.

For example, reading articles and only doing just that is very much an identifier of involvement. Perhaps the epic list could provide a “why”. And with this particular example it could signal to the author that their work was appreciated.

I like how you think about things in terms of sizes. Defo one to explore. Reminds me of estimating for effort over time and complexity.

Maybe there’s an opportunity to highlight an estimated effort required to form a habit around a particular activity. :thinking:

I appreciate that adds another layer of complexity that might not be as helpful as it intended.

2 Likes

Those are great. Thanks for sharing, @mirza. :smile:

2 Likes

I would add the following

• Write an Article and then share it

• Make a video for the MOT Youtube Channel - You need more content there :stuck_out_tongue:

• Join the Linkedin group

• Ask questions - People are friendly and hate is not really present in their feedback

• Share some nice information that you have from the Testing World

• Become PRO

• Visit the SHOP

Will add more if I can think of any today :smiley:

4 Likes
  • Knowledge sharing! Obtaining new knowledge & giving knowledge back to the community in order to grow.
  • Networking, getting to know other people of the testing community.
3 Likes

Trying not to cover too much of whats been said already.

With most things I see a scale of how “visible” your contributions are. It can be tough to engage with new people. My rough scale goes from Observer - > Contributor -> Leader. People can move up and down the scale depending on what they want and need at the time.

Observer

Is a more positive term than lurker. People who are largely reading / watching what the community is doing. Expanding their thinking, finding people who produce good content. This is totally valid and worthwhile. Not everybody needs to be high energy, producing content.

• Join the slack channel and find channels you’re interested in
  • Follow the blog feed (and bloggers club :wink: )
  • Follow MoT on social media
  • Read articles , blogs, newsletters
  • Join a twitter space
  • Attend an AMA, course, conference, etc.

Contributor
Building on the Observer, this person might be replying to posts, creating posts, liking and sharing content. Very much part of the conversation.

• Comment on posts and conversations across platforms
  • Ask questions in the Club
  • Like and share posts!
  • Fancy a chat? What about twitter spaces or lean coffee?

Leader
Again building on the other levels. May be regularly involved in the community. A recognised name and face. Might be more active in certain spaces, or even leading them. e.g. Nicola Lindgren taking over the Bloggers club. Brings interesting ideas or topics. And all round good egg, proactive in the community.

• Creates content
  • Helps people out
  • Welcoming face to the community

I might think of some more specifics at some point.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your model, @flynnbops . It’s brilliant and incredibly helpful.

4 Likes

Thanks Simon. Came out of prevous community work. Drawing on Community of practice maturity model download - Emily Webber

4 Likes

I don’t know if this was mentioned but joining the virtual coffee channel in slack and meeting people. This is a great way to meet new people and help others if they need it.

3 Likes